My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

One Book, Two Book, Three Book, Four...and Five

A little meme that seems to be going around blogsville:

1) The Book I'm Currently Reading  :Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. This is one dang big book at 994 pgs. A tad hard on these old wrists, but his writing is so relaxing you want to read forever.  I am finally half way thru this book and enjoying it more than I thought I would!  Rothfuss, most surely, has a way with words.

 

2) The Last Book I Finished : Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Another large book at over 600 pgs. I just don't have the "writer's words" to say how well it's written. The protagonist is fantastic, and "his story" even better with great secondary characters. Mr Rothfuss seems to write in a language for all ages. (with some Alchemy words I could only guess at ) Oh, and dare I say this once more... short chapters!  That alone is worth the price of the book lol.  But to be honest, there was so much  hype over this book and Wise Man's Fear, that I, ashamedly, thought it would be a big let down.  But it's not!  Other books may be written like this one (or vice versa) but for me these books have the feel of being very original and very captivating.  Mr. Rothfuss is a very good story teller.

 

3. The next book I want to read: Goodness gravy marie.  sheesh.  Let's see.. I only have 142 to choose from! I am honestly not sure yet if I will continue with fantasy or jump over to a biography (I have some really good ones!).

..and these aren't all of them! So, I am not sure where I am going yet. More than likely I will read one more books for OUaT though.

 

 

4) The Last Book I Bought: that was Treasure Island and I purchased it at the used book store..oooh no! Wait!  It was a book from a gift card that Kelly gave me.  I bought Story Teller: authorized Biography of Roald Dahl by Donald Sturrock. Of course I know many of the books Roald Dahl wrote such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach and I also know that for some time he was married to the actress Patricia Neal (wasn't she lucky to have my name?! lol). But I think it will be interesting to read even more about him. And besides... it looked right in my hands. :o)

 

5) The Last Book I was Given: was from my adopted son Chris, the Terry Pratchett book We Free Men: the Beginning (2 books in one) and then I bought the second two books so I read the whole series. But then again since Kelly gave me a gift certificate to Books a Million one might consider "Storyteller: Roald Dahl" to be my last book given.  One might.  so.. it's one of those! heh.

The Wee Free Men was the first two books of a 4 book series. It contained: Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky.  I Added to that: Wintersmith and I Shall Wear Midnight to complete the series. 

 

  ******************************************************************

As a little side note:  Over at Patrick Rothfuss blog he is holding a "photo contest" (which ends Monday) for pictures promoting Wise Man's Fear (it seems he had one long ago for Name of the Wind). Now, I don't know what sort of photo's he likes or expects but I thought I would toss a picture or two into the boiling pot...

I like this bottom one.  If you read the books, or are reading them you know that the Lute is very important to Kvothe, and so I found a photo of hands playing a Lute to use.

 

Now, I do not expect to be a winner (there will be multiple winners) but I can never keep my hands out of Paint Shop Pro when something comes along that I can play with.  Anyway.. those are my entries!

6 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Good luck with the photo, Pat. You had fun whether you win or not and anyway, if you don't enter - you can't win!

Loving the photos of your biographies. The Maggie Smith one and David Niven would interest me even though I've read his Moon's a Balloon and another.

I'd do this meme too but have several other posts to do. Maybe later in the week. Huge fun! :-)

7:04 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

You're a wiz with the paint shop pro :D Love the pics and good luck!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Win or not--those are a couple of really cool photos! I'm with you, I especially like the bottom one.

So how far are you in the book now?

7:26 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: I am "just past" halfway. It's a big dang book! lol but have no intention of setting it aside!

6:50 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Much Good Luck, my dear---you never know about this "winning" business.....(lol).....
I just finished "The Help" and I am now reading Jennifer Grant's slim little book about her father....."Good Stuff: A Reminiscence Of My Father, Cary Grant".....It is onky 177 pages and there are some sweet pictures.
I love Biography's and Autobiography's, especially if I have some connection to the people. In this case, I used to know her mother, and I was the "Officient" at Jennifer's Wedding, back in the early 1990's---They divorced, eventually.....! So, it has some 'extra' interest from me.

Blogger was so screwed up for about 4 days---Couldn't get on my Dashboard...and if I was able to get to some blogs another way--I couldn't comment....Very Frustrating!!!

10:38 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: I have a Cary Grant book called Cary Grant with Style.. need to get to that one too!
Yes, I know blogger was messed up..funny how we depend on stuff like this!

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home