My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day of the Egret

The Pond has been eerily quiet...

The ducks have all but disappeared..

Occasionally, I see one Moorhen and two "teenagers"..

Oh and I still see "mama fish" and hundreds of baby fish..

And two soft shelled (big) turtles and 2 babies about the size of the palm of my hand...

But birds?....................

They must have gone somewhere to find cooler air because they are not around much this year!...

So today when a lone Egret stopped by I whipped out the camera and took some pictures..

They are always so squeaky clean, that they draw your attention to how white they are.

(below) "I don't know what deodorant that was but it sure isn't working!"

oh.. and one lone Anhinga...

Later : late afternoon:  two young  Vultures came down for a drink from the pond and some shade.  I walked very close to them and they were "smallish" and too hot to fly away I guess:

Twins!...

 

It finally rained yesterday.. a lot! The pond looks flooded now.. I hope it goes down quickly as we are due for "regular downpours".

Whelp, that's it from the old folks Pond!...

11 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

Your vultures are different than ours, which are turkey vultures and have ugly red heads instead of ugly gray heads.

8:38 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Donna: we have some of those but not like the black vulture which is all over down here

8:48 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

That reflection on the water is sooo beautiful. Also...I'm in love with the vultures :D

9:52 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: ewww lol they are not beauties hahahaha.. but they are big!! and huge wing span!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Like Kelly, I'm in love with the twin vultures. Cute... well... perhaps 'cute' isn't quite the word I'm looking for. heheh And that reflection is beautiful.

10:47 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: hmmm if this vulture craze keeps up I will have to start a fan club for them ! lol lol

10:50 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Hopefully the birds will be back soon but you might be right about them wanting to beat the heat...ha!

1:56 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: it wouldn't surpise me in the least.. it's horrible down here with the humidity

2:02 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh Pat! Such incredibly beautiful pictures, as always!!!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love summer rains so much, but I understand your fear of the pond overflowing!! I'm guessing you're right and it's too hot for the poor birdies :(

10:36 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE Egrets! I'm always amazed at how clean and white the look---BEAUTIFUL!!! And the Vultures are quite amazing.....! As always, Great Pictures, Pat.....!

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home