My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, June 09, 2011

Sometimes Bookcovers Drive Me Nuts!

See this book below?... THAT SORT OF COVER DRIVES ME NUTS!  

If I am at a bookstore looking through books and I come across this my first instinct is to think, "Rex Stout?"   what sort of book is Rex Stout??... then I read more and find that Rex Stout is the Author and the book title is below in small letters. And I put the book back because it has already annoyed me.

 

That drives me absolutely crazy! (yeah I know: small leap for mankind)

Look below.  This cover caught my eye. Great colors and art work. But once again  ...what the heck is a Jasper Fforde????.. ohhhhhhh, again.. it's the Author ..and again the book title is in small letters down below.  Had I seen that great cover AND the title immediately..I would go further and check the inside cover to see what it's about.

And I'm sorry, I really don't much care how famous the authors name is... I still want to know the TITLE to be the first thing (other than artwork) that jumps out at me!

I guess I could say that at least Mr Martin gave his book as big a billing as his name.  However.............. ahh, never mind.

This next one almost gets it right!  At least the book title comes first! But once again the author begs to outdo the book.  *sigh* But still, since I read left to right and top to bottom at least I have a title!

Then there are the ones like this one below.  I thought the title was: The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest Stieg Larsson.  It didn't make sense to me until I realized Steig Larsson was the author. Right. OK on to the next..

Walter is finally on the right track!  I give good points to  Walter Koenig!! (by the way this is an old book...and one that will give you chuckles)

..and now some points for EXCELLENCE.....

Wow! Will you look at this!  Authors name on top but in small letters!!!!!  One glance and you know the Title!  In this instance it's ok that the authors name is on top because the Title is still what is dominant!  (also it's part of a really enjoyable series)

And one more cover of excellence.  James A Owen who also gives the cover a chance to sell the story by having the Title of the book larger than his name.  Of course James is a little different from most authors.. he's also the artist making the cover! 

I applaud Michael Scott and James A Owen!!

I wonder if publishers should make a guide line for book covers .  Title first? or author first... either way as long as I know if I am looking for a title or an author!!!!!!   Books are nearly always set up , in stores and libraries, according to author names so one has no problem finding Michael Scott under the S's, or James A Owen under the O's.  The title should always jump out at you and tell you something about the book.

  I know many won't agree, and that's ok..we aren't all meant to be the same..but,  if I am randomly looking for a book to read I want to see the TITLES dang it !!!

Ok.. I'm done complaining for today.

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

As a teenager, I used to read every Rex Stout book I could get my hands on. The books were sort of murder-mystery/who-done-its.

7:13 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

Hear, hear!!! I agree wholeheartedly Pat. Fun post..and so true :D

9:04 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Donna: it wouldn't be so bad if at first sight I thought that was the name of the book! lol

hey kelly: it only bothers me when I am looking at books in a store lol..

6:22 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Yep... especially if you're looking for a specific title by the author and then have to go through them all in the bookshop just to find the one you want!

5:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Cath: you know, if it has always been like this I sure don't remember from when I was young but then there's a lot I don't remember lol..it most especially pops "into my face" when I'm not looking for a specific author or book.. just reading titles to see what might interest me, and instead I get "names"..(and some books have titles that are just names!) And with huge names on the spine and the title so small I can't read the title!! argh. I get over it and then somewhere down the line it bothers me again lol.. see what happens when you are an old fart?!!!

6:16 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

It is interesting, Pat...I don't have the same take on this as you do, but I sure can understand how you feel. As far as I know, it's the Publisher's that make these decisions about what goes where and how big it is, etc....And I believe it is based on what they think will sell the book best---Not for you, I understand...lol...But I think it is ALL about promotion--Sell, Sell, Sell....which is important I guess..... I wonder what they do on these Kindle's. I mean how do the titles and authors name look on that electronis device?

Personally, I always loved when Lawrence Sanders had a NEW book I could see his name in big letters---The title was big too, and many times in a different font, so for me, it was terrific to know he had a new book out, AND I could read the title as well....But that's just me.

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home