My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Winding up My OUaT Challenge

  

Of all people, Carl knows that I am NOT a short story reader!  But since I more then overdid my allotted reading, (I signed up to read 4) by actually reading TEN books and also posting on two movies I thought I'd shock Carl and wind up by reading a few (very few) short stories out of a book I have called The Way of the Wizard.  Next to Dragons, Sorcerers are pretty neat characters.. some are good... some are evil..but they all are interesting ! 

The first short story was In Lost Lands by George RR Martin (a familiar name to most!)  There was a witch named Gray Alys, and as the story goes Gray can make anything happen that you ask for... for a price. But she never turned anyone down....  this story is short and sweet , as they say, and moralistic..at least in my humble opinion one must "be careful what you wish for!" I think that this was very cleverly written.

The second short story was: John Uskglass & the Cumbrian Charcoal Burner. (one hellava title huh?!) by Susanna Clarke.  The gist of this short story is a poor Charcoal Burner goes up against a most powerful wizard for all the wrongs he kept doing to th e Charcoal Burner.  But, the Charcoal Burner goes to pray for help...and gets it!...  moral being: there is always someone more powerful than you are!

A third short story is called Wizard's Apprentice by Delia Sherman.  When Nick ran away he found himself at the mercy of a Evil Book Wizard, trapped once he excepted food and a place to sleep.  When he discovered he couldn't run away from the wizard he decided to read some of the wizard's books...and truly became a Wizards Apprentice and and wound up finding a new home.

And number 4 short story is: El Regalo by Peter S Beagle.  This one was my favorite.  It was about sibling rivalry.  Possibly you know the feeling.. "mom likes you the best" sort of thing.  This was an older HS sister and her much younger little brother who she discovers by seeing him do strange things, that he's a witch!  Not only was this a clever short story but it had comedy in it as well.  Let me leave you with my favorite quote of this story:

"... I swear by Buffy the Vampire Slayer that I will keep my hands off of my baby brother... "

"My baby brother, the monster!  He's gotten worse since he started sticking a Y in his name..." ",,,and I will stop calling him Ex Lax..."   (gawd I cracked up!)

Ok so those are my ever so brief reports on short stories.. they really are short!  Much more and I could just post the whole stories!

So, after all is said and done here's my list of things from Once Upon a Time:

Wee Free Men...Terry Pratchett.................267 pgs

A Hat Full of Sky..Terry Pratchett.............295 pgs

Wintersmith...Terry Pratchett.....................464 pgs

4 I Shall Wear Midnight..Terry Pratchett......368 pgs

Winnie the Pooh..A.A. Milne....................162 pgs

Tooth & Claw...Jo Walton........................253 pgs

Name of the Wind...Patrick Rothfuss........672 pgs

Wise Man's Fear.....Patrick Rothfuss........996 pgs

Daddy Long Legs...Jean Webster............114 pgs

10 Warlock.... Michael Scott.......................386 pgs

Ten books: 3,977 pages!! Woo Hoo!! (not too shabby for a slow reader!)

My favorite of them all is Warlock. But then it had 4 books before it to keep me interested !!   It would be followed by the Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear.  I am happy to say that I enjoyed all of them!

Then I posted on two Movies:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and King Kong.

And lastly this post about some short stories!  

I think this is the best I've ever done for OUaT ! well, variety wise that is... a few years back I did more than 10 books ..but now I'm older and read slower ..but still enjoying them all!

As always Once Upon a Time was great fun... and I look forward to RIP and some good Gothic Mysteries!!!!!

14 Comments:

Blogger animewookie said...

Yay!! It's a wonderful variety. OMG, the last short story book I read was Stephen King's Night Shift...soooo many years ago. I liked it but as a rule I'm not much for short stories.
Love those quotes, they put a big smile on my face :D

8:03 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: yeah I'm not a big lover of short stories dunno why..*shrugs* I had to crack up with they quote" ...and I will stop calling him Ex Lax" ! LOL..

9:10 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Pat, you did brilliantly. Ten books is an excellent total, especially as some were very long.

I'll check out that book of short stories as I do quite like them. I've read that Susanna Clarke one as it was in her Ladies of Grace Adieu collection. Love the Ex Lax thing... heheheheh.

9:31 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: yes I heard quite a few times on the Susanna Clarke one..but being as I'm not a fan of short stories I tried to at least have a topic I liked lol..

2:45 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

It was indeed a blast this year :) I got a whopping six books read, lol. I'm not a huge short story reader either, but you have me very interested in this collection now!! Especially with that Beagle story...I love Peter Beagle so much!!

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Shanra said...

but now I'm older and read slower

Not to mention that some of those books (and I name no names, the books know which they are) are MASSIVE too.

Congratulations on your reading, hun! <3 It sounds like you've had a wonderful time with the challenge this year! <3

5:00 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Yes! She read short stories!!! My evangelistic efforts are having an impact!!! LOL! :)

I've read that Clarke story and really enjoy it. Despite your protests about not liking short stories I think you would enjoy Clarke's short story collection, The Ladies of Grace Adieu. Also the Peter S. Beagle collection I am giving away is one you would enjoy.

Glad you read and watched a variety of stuff for the challenge. I was thinking just the other day that it is past time for me to re-watch PJ's version of King Kong! Such a fun film.

Thank you so much for participating so fully. I'm glad you'll be joining in on R.I.P. this year. I know that despite your initial thoughts otherwise that you've found some amazing books every fall and I look forward to seeing what you read this year. I'd suggest adding the Miss Peregrine's book to your list!

1:21 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: ah yes.. you need another book LOL... (i only tease becasue i love you!)

Hi Shanra..it was good.. I have slowed a lot but those felt real good!

Carl: you will nevre make a short story lover of me lol...but you did more then enough for me! Before I fo und you I had ohhhh, maybe (MAYBE) 8 books for a tbr pile.. that E-i-g-h-t !... now I have 145! but I do love that I enjoy gothic type mysteries now! I will always thank you for The Thirteenth Tale!..which led to Drood and many others! So bring on RIP!!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Thrilled that I could foist my book-gathering madness on to someone else! :)

I'm still looking for that next RIP style book that makes me feel the way The Thirteeth Tale did. Hopefully something will grab me in a similar fashion this year.

3:47 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: well, one does lead to another.. I know I never EVER thought I'd read or like a book like Drood!! and I loved that one too!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Congrats on your great progress!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Rhinoa said...

That's awesome well done! Will check out that anthology, love the Buffy quote. Need to catch up and read the fourth Tiffany book and I have Tooth and Claw on my list for this year.

6:23 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

AMAZING, Pat! And you consider yourself a slow reader?? Well, your s-l-o-w must be like that Speed Reading place, Evelyn Wood...lol! I am always impressed with how much you read, my dear....And it seems to me you outdid yourself on this challenge!

5:00 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Wow, you did a fantastic job with the challenge. Congratulations!

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home