My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, July 04, 2011

War of the Worlds Radio..

Oh my...

First off, I spent most of Saturday morning either in email or on the phone with Kelly trying to download an old radio broadcast (and change from an MP3 to a M4b). The one I found and wanted was called War of the Words narrated by Orson Welles. 

Secondly I will say that Kelly has the patience of a saint! LOL

And Thirdly:  this whole thing was worth every moment!  First because Kelly and I got to know each other a lot better, and although she could be my daughter we have quite a bit in common!!  And second because after all our trials and tribulations we DID get it into ipod format and I listened to the whole thing while downloading another radio program lol.

I can't remember hearing the whole broadcast before. I'm sure I did but I was so young I don't remember..just remember "parts" of it.

This is fabulous!  I was happy before to get the ipod but now I am beside myself!!!  I can nix the books and happily listen to old radio broadcasts! lol lol (but this can count as a book since it was a book and a script at times)

I had to go and get some pictures of a very young Orson Welles as he read War of the Worlds for CBS radio.

War of the Worlds was broadcast October 30, 1938, adapted from H.G.Well book of the same name.

..who'd have thought the chaos that this production would have brought?

..such a nice young man reading a simple script...

...and this is the result..  the newspaper is real..trust me on that !

Below is part of an article written by:

Robert E Bartholomew: December 1998

Shortly after 8 o’clock on Sunday evening, October 30, 1938, many Americans became anxious or panic-stricken after listening to a realistic live one-hour radio play depicting a fictitious Martian landing at the Wilmuth farm in the tiny hamlet of Grovers Mill, New Jersey. Those living in the immediate vicinity of the bogus invasion appeared to have been most frightened, although the broadcast could be heard in all regions of the continental United States and no one particular location was immune. The play included references to real places, buildings, highways, and streets. The broadcast also contained prestigious speakers, convincing sound effects, and realistic special bulletins. The drama was produced by a 23-year-old theatrical prodigy named George Orson Welles (1915-1985), who was accompanied by a small group of actors and musicians in a New York City studio of the Columbia Broadcasting System’s Mercury Theater. The actual broadcast script was written by Howard Koch, who loosely based it on the 1898 book The War of the Worlds by acclaimed science fiction writer Herbert George (H.G.) Wells (1866-1946). In the original Wells novel, the Martians had landed in nineteenth century Woking, England. Sixty years after the 1938 event, it remains arguably the most widely known delusion in United States, and perhaps world history, and many radio stations around the world continue to broadcast the original play each Halloween eve.

If one closes their eyes and can even remotely imagine the chance of a real invasion from space..then you can have a small idea how this scared the be-gee-bees out of so many people. 

If you've never heard it  you might want to listen to it online..it's an hour long.. or download it to your computer to listen to at a more convenient time.  Whatever you decide, know this... you really should hear this show once in your lifetime!

*if you do listen to it.. know that now and then it seems like the audio goes "dead".. it does not.. just keep listening!*

9 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

War of the Worlds was one of the first science fiction books I ever read. And one of the best ever too. I'll try and find time to listen to this broadcast at some stage, Pat. It's a scary book so I can well imagine how easily people were terrified by the radio drama.

And Kelly sounds like such a lovely person. :-)

9:14 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

Wow!!! This is fantastic Pat. Orson Welles was only 23, I can't believe it. I like where the news paper shows the "War" Victim...lol Oh, I know...I'll put it on my
Iphone and tonight the kids and I will light the fire pit and listen to it!!!

9:18 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

Oh, and I enjoy every minute of talking to you Pat. I feel very fortunate to consider you my friend <3

9:24 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I've wanted to listen to this for ages. I'm totally going to!! And I love that you and Kelly have become friends :) She's so awesome!!

11:41 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: it's a little dated, and i'm guessing because things were not so techy when i was young I can "see" it better.. but it is still great to listen to.. the beginning is what most people missed (obviously).. hope you listen to it.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

So happy to hear you are enjoying your new iPod so much. I've never heard this broadcast so I will have to listen to it. Thanks for the link.

6:43 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: i love old time radio! lol the sound effects in them are fabulous.. ones imagination did the rest!

5:21 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

How exciting you were able to hear the whole Broadcast....! And it certainly did stir up a pot of trouble at the time...It seems crazy now, but it wasn't, back then....!
Betty was a part of Welles' Mercery Theatre back-in-the-day...She was in, among other things, O.W's "Danton's Death"....she loved him!

There was a film made about that famous Broadcast--I cannot remember the name of it...Shoot! Maybe it will come to me.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I enjoyed hearing my folks talk about this.

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home