My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Coming and Going

Make that, Going and Coming!...... We often show the new books that magically arrive at our door, but rarely the ones leaving!

Here's the stack of books waiting to "go"...

There's some I hate to have leave the apartment, but a 600sq ft one bedroom apartment doesn't have much space for *stuff*.

Remarkable Creatures, and Alice I Have Been and On Folly Beach were all recent reads that are very enjoyable.  It hurts too that all the Todd McCaffrey books that I paid full price for are going out as new looking as they came in! But I will not reread them so there is no sense in keeping them.  I really wish we had a used book store that gave a little credit towards their book when you *donate* them but there's not one like that around here.

And (since my memory sucks)below are books that have come into the apartment (which I'm not certain I didn't show some already or not.). but these are the "latest" anyway..

you might notice, that I am getting ready for Rip...heh.

Sister. /  Graveminder. / Miss Peregrin's home for Peculiar Children. /

What Alice Knew.....

..there was one other ordered when I sent for the above books called The Edinburgh Dead . Just this morning the email came that it is shipped.  Gads, I can't imagine who or how I got started on such creepy books.. hmmm, just can't imagine. (yeahrightsure! thanks Carl! lol)

...and I always have to have some books on my hero's, the astronauts..

12 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Okay... the redundant NASA people need to start work on a Star Trek type transporter system *right now*. I would knock on your door and probably take a dozen of those off you... and leave you with a dozen of the ones that are now in my charity shop box. LOL. (Okay so that would maybe defeat the object of the exercise *cough*). But wow Pat! That's a lot of books going out.

And some great ones coming in. I can see my RIP pile is going to grow a bit after reading your reviews! Do you think The Name of the Wind is suitable for RIP? I want to read it but is it fantasy rather than horror? Oh and I need to add Drood to my pile too...

6:50 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I get upset because of the prices to be able to mail books to you... I would love to send Beautiful Creatures and On Folly Beach... I guess I understand no more "book rates" but they could lower the mailing cost !!

7:17 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

Oh, all those dragon books...such a shame :( Is RIP all horror, I haven't participated before?

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Shanra said...

I'm impressed by the amount of books you've got on your "Going away" pile, though sad that you're having to include books you'd rather keep (even though you might not reread them).

And you're going to be reading "Bleak House"? *low whistle* I hope you'll enjoy it! I couldn't finish it, but I admit that I'm not a Dickens fan to begin with and the book is long and complex. (Also, I only picked it up to read because it was on my courses, which really didn't help matters.) As said, though, I hope that you'll enjoy it more! ^-^

4:53 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: I emailed you.

Shanra: hi! yeah I hate getting rid of books! The only ones I don't mind are the few that I really didn't like at all..
As for Bleak House.. I've had it a while and gosh knows when I will ever get to it! I am not a "huge fan" of dickens but did like the few i've read and Bleak House is used at the price of 1.00 so I can afford to try it and nothing lost if I don't read it all lol

6:34 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Pat, postage costs are *crazy*... it never used to be so but it is now. No wonder people don't use snail-mail like they used to.

I hope you're busy persuading Kelly to do RIP in September!!!! LOL!

If you ever get through Bleak House the BBC drama of it from a couple of years ago is also wonderful.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh Pat, that just totally sucks that you don't have a used book store that you can get a bit of return on! It's hard enough to part with enjoyable books, but earning a little credit on them would help soften the blow.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Shanra said...

Hee. That's a healthy way to look at "Bleak House"! To be fair on it, if it'd been written by anyone other than Dickens, I'd probably have slogged through it, but I really don't like his writing style. *sad noise* The length of "Oliver Twist" is about as far as I'll go even if it means being a bad student.

I hope you'll enjoy it loads and loads more than I did! It does sound like you will, whenever you get around to it, anyhow. ^-^

I wish there were a way you could get to keep the books you want to keep... (And that you could get something in return for them.)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I know. I did this HUGE purge earlier this year and didn't take pictures. That was slack of me! I really want to read Alice I Have Been. It is pending. :)

Lots of good looking books! I am looking forward to your thoughts on the space related ones. I also want to read them. :)

I am all ready for RIP, too. I am thinking I will make a list again like I did for Once Upon a Time because I actually read some of them!

6:00 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I know it has to be painful to get rid of even the books you know you won't read again, because you are such a lover of books--AND, to add insult to injury, to NOT have a Used Book Store that will give you some kind of vredit benefit for your largesse---well, that really sucks! Maybe you need to show them the picture of these books that you showed us!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Gavin said...

I've been working on a purge as well, and staying out of bookstores! I love the astronaut books though, may have to see if my library has them.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

You know, I've just begun thinking I have to do a purge too because I have all my new books on the floor, waiting for space on the shelves! that's quite a collection you have going out, too. I really want to know more about The Edingburgh Dead, that sounds interesting. I've been gathering books for RIP too, though somehow I've managed to read some already! lol

I can't believe you don't have a used book store there!!! Now that's sad.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home