My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril !

  Oh Yeah! Oh Yeah!  RIP is here! Oh Yeah! Doin' my happy dance!

 

***********************************************************************

Finally!  It's time for Carl's RIP Challenge!!!

Briefly put..in Carl's own words:

Every September 1st through October 31st for the last 5 years I have hosted the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril Challenge, affectionately known as the R.I.P. Challenge. I began this reader event, I blinked, and now I am hosting this for the 6th time. Wow, that is so hard to believe.

The purpose of the R.I.P. Challenge is to enjoy books that could be classified as:

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.

The emphasis is never on the word challenge, instead it is about coming together as a community and embracing the autumnal mood, whether the weather is cooperative where you live or not.

It's still incredible to me that I have come such a long way from not reading ANY of these type books to anxiously awaiting Carl's announcement that indeed it is time to begin the RIP Challenge!!!

This year I am choosing Peril the First... which is to read any 4 books in the categories listed above.

 

Carl does enjoy when we make a list of books that we have to choose from (not that it matters if we choose from them or not).  And I love going around looking at all the lists myself.. it always makes for a longer wish list.. I am sure Amazon love's Carl for doing these challenges!

Anyway.. here's a look see all most of the books I can choose from:

1.  Mina by Marie Kiraly
2.  Irish Ghosts and Haunting's by Michael Scott
3.  Oscar Wilde & the Candlelight Murders by Gyles Brandreth
4.  A Fine and Private Place by Peter S Beagle
5.  Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
6.  20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill
7.  What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman
8.  What Alice Knew by Paula Marantz Cohen
9.  The Edinburgh Dead by Brian Ruckley
10. The Mammoth Book of Victorian & Edwardian Ghost stories  edited by Richard Dalby
11. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Randsom Riggs
12. Graveminder by Melissa Marr
13. The Map of Time by Felix J Palma
14. The Anatomy of Ghosts by Andrew Taylor
15. The Bone Magician by F.G. Higgins
16. Instruments of Darkness by Imogen Robertson

Sixteen Books!.. eeeee-gads! There was a time when I didn't have one book to my name that would fit any of Carl's categories!

Then.. just in case I don't feel like one of those I have a few others ...

In Reserve:

 

I love the old two column writing!..

 

 

1.  The Works of Conan Doyle by Conan Doyle
2.  The Legend of Sleep Hollow by Washington Irving
3.  Grimm Fairy Tales by Grimm
4.  Bleak House by Charles Dickens
5.  Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
6.  Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
7.  Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
8. Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett
9. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

And then If all else fails, and I feel like my reads are not hitting the spot  I will fall back on two of my all time favorites:

1.  Drood by Dan Simmons &
2.  The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

It's time for RIP folks!!!.....

Time to be Happy!!!.....................

...come join the fun over at Stainless Steel Droppings!

28 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I love your kitty happy dance!

What a list! May I say...ambitious? :) I love just looking at the fonts of the books in your stack, they say a lot about the contents in form alone.

I've seen Miss Peregrine's Home...on a few lists already; I may need to look into it.

Happy reading!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Can't wait to hear about some of these, Pat. I've read the Gyles Brandreth 'Oscar Wilde' book and quite enjoyed it. Think I might have 'Ghost Stories' on my supernatural shelves somewhere. Also planning to read Great Expectations myself. Look forward to seeing which ones you decide to read.

8:22 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kate: thanks ! lol..i like "choice" , can you tell? lol..

cath: emailed you :o)

8:31 AM  
Blogger GeraniumCat said...

What a wonderful pile of books to choose from - makes my mouth water! Miss Peregrine's Home looks like being one of the most popular choices this year - by the end of the challenge I should definitely know whether I want to read it too.

Look forward to reading about your choices :-)

9:09 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

That's a great pile of books, Pat! I look forward to seeing what you wind up reading. :)

10:22 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

This is always one of my favorite challenges of the year. I never participate but I do live vicariously through those of you that do and I always get tons of great book recommendations as a result. Have fun Pat!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

I am cracking up so hard at that dancing cat! That is what I feel like too, and will feel even more like that the first time the weather gets autumnal this season.

It always gives me pleasure to see how you've embraced this kind of literature, reading even more variety than I do during these challenges. You certainly inspire me to try harder.

Holy crap you have a large and fantastic looking book pile. Graveminder is one I keep staring at when I go to the bookstore. It certainly looks deliciously creepy, doesn't it?

Thank you so much for coming along again this year and leading the visiting other blogs pack. It makes me smile when I go somewhere new and see your face there.

And thanks again for the laugh.

11:55 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

geranium: I think that is going to be the second book I read lol..

kelly: i get more on my wish list than I get to read LOL

Kathleen: you should join! you only need to read ONE book for goodness sake~

carl: sent you and email

1:04 PM  
OpenID reviewsbylola said...

I am envious of your list. You have some great books. I may need to add Great Expectations to my list!

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

Oh my! That is one huge stack of books! I'm already part way through Miss Peregrine and am totally loving it. Happy reading!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Wow! What a stack of books to choose from!!

I've read several of the Dickens, but not any of the others except for "The Thirteenth Tale". I loved it!

4:54 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

lola: I get many of them from a used book store, expecially the ones by dickens, otherwise they are mostly paperbacks.

Stephanie: I am part way thru Map of Time lol...I love these books!

kelly: the 13th tale is one of my favorites!!!!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Chrisbookarama said...

I'm glad to see Drood is a favorite since I'm taking that one on. I love that dancing cat!

7:25 PM  
OpenID xalwaysdreamx said...

Haha I like the cat dancing! So cute! You've got a lot of juicy looking books there to pick from! Some ofthe classics aside, I haven't read almost any of the ones you posted in your photo! I may return and steal some more reads from that pile!

--Sharry

7:33 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I love your dancing cat!

Seriously, best challenge ever!

7:45 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like fun, my dear Pat....I wish I could participate but...I am a very slow reader and I don't feel I can even commit to R.I.P. One...! Pitiful, I know. But, I am s-l-o-w-l-y reading "MILDRED PIERCE" by James M. Cain, right now...Actually I'm not sure that it might not qualify, but I'm not far enough along to tell....(lol)!
HAVE FUN, My Dear!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Trish said...

Wow, that's a pretty comprehensive list! I like how you have a reserve list too. It's good to keep one's options open :)

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Novroz said...

Great list!! i have been wanting to read 20th century ghost but still haven't found it yet :(

8:49 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: oh yes, I love Drood!

Amanda: yes it is! Carl totally converted me! lol

THanks Naomi lol.. you're too funny!

Trish: I am not happy "commiting" so I keep it open ended lol..

Novroz: I'm not a short story lover but hope I might like this one

9:08 AM  
Blogger Kristen M. said...

What a great list! I wish I wasn't doing classics and non-fic this year or I would definitely re-read The Thirteenth Tale! I love those Mammoth books too -- so many new authors to discover!

8:22 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kristen: wow you set a goal and stick to it huh? wish I could do that lol.. good for you!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What an aawesome list!!! I'm so glad to see A Fine and Private Place on there :D I aboslutely LOVE that book. One of my favs ever!!!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Ooh, we both have A Fine and Private Place on our lists, and I know now that I bought my copy of the Edinburgh Dead because of you! You mentioned buying it earlier this summer....I think i have to do a reserve list up also, since you make me want to try the Thirteenth Tale, you love it so much. I also own What the Dead Know, but have so many mysteries on my stack that couldn't honestly fit it on. Graveminder does look interesting, as does Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I also like that you have the Mammoth Book of Victorian and Edward Ghost STories, I hope you get to read some of those to review for us!! Oh, this is such a fun challenge, isn't it?

1:38 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

That might be one huge pile of books, but I just know you're going to get through more of them than you think you will. :) You've got several on there that I've never even heard of before. Anyway, have fun with each and every one you get to!
And thanks for the dancing cat--that put the most enormous smile on my face. :D

8:27 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: yup it was because I you that I got it!

susan: yeah I love rip lol..who would have guessed?! because of me? I haven't even read it yet LOL LOL.. well I hope we both enjoy it!

Debi: yeah I googled "happy dance" and the cat cracked me up so I hadda have it lol

8:32 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

That cats killin me!!!! Holy choices Batman...lol So much fun <3

10:27 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly, yeah the cat cracked me up too! lol

10:34 AM  
Blogger tylerjones said...

Omg, that cat!
Lol!!
garden features

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home