My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, September 03, 2011

Book Meme

I believe this meme began as a 30 day book meme..but then I found another with even more questions... so I just took off "days" and listed the questions.....

01 - The best book you read last year

NonFiction: Two Sides of the Moon: Scott & Leonev

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society

Fiction:  Neverland: Piers Dudgeon

Fantasy: Necromancer: Michael Scott

 

02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

The Thirteenth Tale: Diane Setterfield  (I am trying hard not to keep saying the Pern books because I know Pern will be mentioned too many times as it is!)

 

03 – Your favourite series

The Pern series of books by Anne McCaffrey (well that didn't take long)

also: The Inkheart Trilogy. 

The Bartimaeus Trilogy.

The Nicholas Flamel Series.  Dragonlace series. 

Harry Potter series....and a few others.

 
04 – Favourite book of your favourite series

A hard call on that one.  Book 1, Dragonflight was a masterful piece. Very action packed, with strong characters, and evil abiding. It is was hooked me for many books to come.  But then the White Dragon has my heart, so it's a two sided coin.


05 – A book that makes you happy

I don't know that I can name "a" book.  I am most happy when I am rereading an old favorite.  I get the feeling of being *back where I belong* and quite often find myself reading with a smile on my face.


06 – A book that makes you sad

Where The Red Fern Grows.(I could cry just thinking of it! argh!) & Water for Elephants

 
07 – Most underrated book

I found that Inkheart by Cornelia Funke is underrated.  I love the book and felt it had depth and heart and great characters.  Unfortunately it gets *mixed reviews* and the movie they made (although the cast was excellent!) was not made up to par.  It cut much from the book and because of that I feel the movie did poorly and had not good reviews. I think that also sheds a shadow on the book.


08 – Most overrated book

Hmmm... can't say I know the answer to that one. There are a number of books "overrated" but many of them I don't read.. the few I've read that had nothing but good things said about them I've agreed that they are good.


09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

Happily, that has happened a number of times!  Where do I begin?

Oh right, that would be with Carl and his RIP Challenge.  When Carl put this challenge up I thought that there was no way I could join even to read one book.  I really don't care for vampire or zombie type books.

Low and behold I searched for soooooo long and finally found a little book that I thought I'd give a try to.  That books was Gil's All Fright Diner.... and I wound up laughing and smiling thru most of the book, which when you consider that the unlikely hero's in it were a vampire and a werewolf.  duh.  so began finding books that I thought *no way* about.

Next came Carl once again mentioning Gothic Mysteries.  Say what?!  He recommended The Thirteenth Tale.  With a sigh and rolling my eyes to the heavens I sent for the book...   So far I've read it 3 times! Hello?! Where did that come from???.. That led to a book which I've only read once (because of it's size), but do plan to read again.. DROOD!  Get this, its a book supposedly narrated by Wilke Collins about himself and Charles Dickens ...yeah, right, like I'd be interested in that!...   I recommend it every chance I get!!!  That set in motion my reading The Woman in White and The Moonstone, both by Wilke Collins!  Never.. ever, ever, ever would I dream that I would not only read books by Wilke Collins... but like them too!!! 

Gotta love when you get such great surprises even so late in life!

 

10 – Favourite classic book

Honestly, I am not all up on what is a classic and what is not, so I'll keep my answer short....

hmmm well I certainly liked The Woman in White.  I also love The Hound of the Baskervilles... and who doesn't love A Christmas Carol?

 

11 – A book you hated

Any book that I put down and decide I can't finish reading it!  And unfortunately there have been a number of them.  I don't want to list any as, just because I didn't like them doesn't mean you won't!

 

12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

oh wow.  hmmm.  that  hasn't happened!  I can't say I've loved a book and then one day decided that I didn't.  This is a good thing!

 
13 – Your favourite writer

Gads! That's like actually trying to say you love only one book. 

Plus the problem is that one doesn't always like every single thing the author has written.. which could interfere with said writer being my favorite writer.  I love Anne McCaffrey but I honestly don't love every book she wrote. I also find I love Wilke Collins (admitted I haven't read all his books but I am finding he should be on the love list lol.)

 

14 – Favourite book of your favorite writer

I guess I will go with Dragonflight , Dragonquest & the White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey.  It's a trilogy so it's "one extended book" as far as I'm concerned!  But she is not my "only favorite author".

 
15 – Favourite male character

Oh my.. why such hard questions? sheesh.  So many times I choose a favorite character of each book that I really like!!  Like I love Gandalf from the Hobbit and LOtR, and then there's Belgarath from the Belgarion series and oh my but there is Master  Harper Robinton from the Pern series.  I love Hagrid and Snape and Ron from Harry Potter... the list is way too long!


16 – Favourite female character

hmmm .One would be Lessa of Pern and another Polgara from The Belgariad and I can't forget Mary Russell from Laurie R Kings books. 

  
 
17 – A book that disappointed you

All the Todd McCaffrey books.

 
18- A Favourite book made into a movie

Well, since they haven't made the Pern books into movies, I have to go with LOtR movies since so much love and thought went into the making. I doubt another movie will ever come out as good as those movies were.

 

19 – An “unputdownable” book

The first book that I carried with me everywhere and even read while cooking was: The Hobbit

 
20 – Favourite book from your childhood

I honestly don't remember books from my childhood...I must be having a senior moment.. I have them often!

 

21 – Favourite book you own

Seriously? ONE book?  Well since I don't have the whole trilogy in hardback I guess I will go with "The White Dragon" by Anne McCaffrey. But honestly, I have a number of books that you will have to try to pry out of my cold dead hands because I'd never get rid of them.

 

22 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Do you want me to list my whole TBR mountain????


23– A book that you wish more people would’ve read

Drood.  (simple huh?!)


24 – A character who you can relate to the most

Maybe the females in Cocoon.


25 – A book that changed your opinion about something

Drood.  After reading Drood I then wanted to read books by Wilke Collins and Charles Dickens... and I never read either of them before.

 

26 – The most surprising plot twist or ending

Oh wow... well The Thirteenth Tale had the most twist and turns and surprises that I remember...

 

27 – A book I wish I could live in

I can't name one. It would be many of the books that I truly love.

 

28 – A favourite non-fiction book:

Stan &  Ollie  by Simon Louvish

 

29 – Your favourite book of all time

Sci fi/Fantasy:  The Dragon Riders of Pern Trilogy

Gothic Mystery: The Thirteenth Tale/  Drood

Fantasy: The Hobbit

Biography: Stan & Ollie

NonFiction: The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society

 

30- A book that is a most treasured possession

These questions lead to duplicate responses!  "A book?" ok I will list one of the books in my glass front bookcase (all of which I will never get rid of)..which maybe I haven't mentioned as much as *some* heh..    Among others in the cabinet I have 6 Dragonlace books by Weis and Hickman and the 7 Harry Potter books.

 

31- A favourite book with animals in

Do Dragons count?   *nevermind*

 

32- The longest book I have ever read

Drood 774 pgs (but if i ever get around to reading Under the Dome that has over 1,000 pgs)

 

33- A book that I still think about years after having read it

*sigh* once again, trying not to keep saying "Pern" ..I will say the Belgaraid series. (and: the Dragonlance series)

 

34- A book that has been on my shelf unread for more than 5 years

Finally! the answer is NOT Pern! .. a book I started and never finished but I know I will do so one day is Jonathan Strange and Mr Norvell.

 

35- A book with the best evil character

oh well.. back to Pern LOL... sorry I can't help it.. in the first book: Dragonflight there is the most horrid character named FAX.  He was pure evil and awful enough not to be able to forget!

9 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

What a fun meme! Hope you have a nice holiday weekend Pat!

3:29 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Kathleen: oh wow.. see what happens when you are old and alone... you forget that there are holidays! totally forgot it was labor day weekend! no wonder no one is around! sheesh.. hope you have a great weekend!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh every time you mentioned Pern or McCaffrey :p I bet you were tempted to write that for every answer, huh? LOL…I love that you have an author you love that much…Gaiman is mine!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

This was a lot of fun! I started to do this day-by-day, but maybe I will steal your idea and actually get it finished!

9:59 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: yes but sad that she will write no more.. I do love some other authors it's just her books stand out more then any to me. the same must be for you about Gaiman.

kelly: yeah when I found "more" questions and there are no 35 day months that I know of I decided to go this way with it lol

10:02 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I thought about doing this day to day meme too, and I like your idea of doing it all at once better! lol Like Chris, I laughed at all the Pern, you love them so much, don't you? I really enjoyed how you answered some of these questions, too. Just like if we had a cup of tea and talked about our favourite books some afternoon. I really love how Drood took hold of your imagination, too. I have to read it!

1:32 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

So you sort of like Anne McCaffrey and her Pern books, huh? ;-)

8:22 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

I couldn't agree more about Lessa...and Robinton...I had a major character crush on him...lol

10:23 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

susan: Ihope you do the meme I love bookish meme's lol

Debi: ya think? hmmm I wonder where you got an idea like that? lol

kelly: hey hey hands off of the masterharper! lol lol

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home