My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, September 05, 2011

RIP Made Me Do It!...

I have finally done it.. I've gone off the deep end. .... and I blame it all on RIP!... just look at what I have gone and done...

I bought a book of short stories!  I don't even like short stores! As a matter of fact each time I get a book of short stores, thinking I will really get into them because I like the basic topic... I never get past reading 2 or three stories and toss the book aside.   But look!  I've bought yet another short story book!...  AAArrrrggghhhhh!

Death by Dickens Edited by Anne Perry.

Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Berkley (November 2, 2004)
ISBN-10: 0425199479

*sigh* but look at the description of the book!... I had to have it!

Product Description
New York Times bestselling author Anne Perry and ten of today's masters of mystery present stories inspired by Dickens and his immortal classics.

See below: the inside of the jacket description..

... gads,... I need to be put into a mental institution! (at least it was bargain priced and I had turned in 3 paperbacks for credit so it only cost me  Forty-three cents)  Now I have no paperbacks to turn in and no one will take hardbacks dang it!

Then as I mulled through the book store this caught my eye...

The Plucker: An Illustrated Novel by Gerald Brom

Paperback: 160 pages
Publisher: Abrams; New edition edition (March 1, 2011)
ISBN-10: 0810996022

Ohhhh.. Brom!

Ohhhh... filled (FILLED) with his artwork!

Product Description
The Plucker, now updated with new art and an afterword from world-renowned dark fantasy artist Brom, is a window into a world where fairy-tale tradition collides with vileness and depravity, love and heroism, suffering and sacrifice. In this shadowy land of make-believe, Jack and his box are stuck beneath the bed with the dust, spiders, and other castaway toys, and forced to face a bitter truth: Children grow up, and toys are left behind. Jack thinks this is the worst fate that can befall a toy. But when the Plucker, a malevolent spirit, is set loose upon the world of make-believe, Jack is thrust into the unlikely role of defending Thomas, the very child who abandoned him, and learns that there are worse ends for a toy than abandonment. As desperation mounts, Jack is thrown together with Thomas’s other toys—Monkey, the Nutcracker, and the ethereally beautiful porcelain doll Snow Angel—as they struggle to rise above their simple roles as playthings and save the boy they love.

About the Author
Brom is the world-renowned illustrator whose vision has graced a wide range of fantasy and sci-fi fiction, games, and films, including Tim Burton’s Sleepy Hollow.

Last year I also read, The Child Thief by Brom which is a very dark tale of Peter Pan.. one that I promise you've never heard of before!

Here's my link from my review.

I can honestly tell you that until I found RIP.. books like these would never have entered my home!!!!  Never! Never! Never!

I started small (very small: Gil's All Fright Diner) and it's brought me to love gothic mysteries and much more! 

I think I should just send my charge card bills directly to Carl!   Everyone that agrees raise your hand!......:o) yeah, that's the ticket!

13 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

I hope this is the book that finally changes your mind about short stories, Pat! :) And WOW--Plucker sounds so deliciously creepy and marvelous! (Not to mention beautiful to look at!)

8:15 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

I concur..."raises hand"...lol
Gorgeous artwork...absolutely love it!!!

10:13 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: yeah I wish there was no art then I wouldn't have sent for the book! lol

hey kelly:.. hooray for raising your hand! I'm all for Carl paying LOL LOL

10:18 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Ha, I love it!!! I hope you get addicted to short stories with this one. I looks like such a great book. I hope it lives up to expectations, great though they may be (sorry, couldn't resist).

I need to pick up those Brom books at some point. Maybe when he is here for the Spectrum Live event in May. I could get them signed then.

10:57 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: oh wow! a show of authors? Brom certainly has made some very dark characters!! that would be neat getting his autograph on one of his books!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

It is actually an artist event, and since Brom is both it works out perfectly. Here is a link to the event. Some amazing artists are already on board:

http://www.spectrumfantasticart.com/spectrumfantasticartlive/

12:00 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I have to say, Pat, that the short story book looks a lot of fun!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I really need to read Brom... I think I have too much on the go for September, but maybe October...

6:55 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm with you on Short stories…though I've had a few collections that I really loved! Like How Beautiful the Ordinary and Stories edited by Neil Gaiman. Both were excellent. And that Brom book looks so awesome!!! Which reminds me I need to get The Child Thief :p

9:01 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I predict you will read EVERY story in that book of short stories inspired by Dickens....They ALL sound quite marvelous. I love "The Tale Of One City"...lol!

4:35 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

thanks Carl..i wonder if more artists will be there?

Cath: yes, it sounded sorta like puns so I thought it might be humorous

kelly: well the child thief is really creepy and I suspect this "bed time story" is too but his art work is worth the purchase.

naomi: the titles indicate some humor so I hope that's the case it even sounds like Anne Perry might be quite a fan of Dickens!

5:42 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Pat, Anne Perry writes Victorian murder mysteries so I wouldn't be at all surprised if she was a fan of people like Dickens or Wilkie Collins.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

That art is spectacular, isn't it? Oh I want one too!!!! See how much we influence one another......

As for short stories, you're talking to someone who bought three collections of short stories this year just because they were horror or ghost stories and because Ellen Datlow edited them! Now I have to read them. though I have to admit, once I read some more Dickens (which I plan to), that short story collection you have will look really good too.....

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home