My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

That's Some Houseplant!..

The photo's below are of a plant beside the building I live in.  It's a Schefflera actinophylla or Brassaia actinophylla  or sometimes known as the Umbrella Tree or Umbrella Plant or Octopus Tree.  I've been in this  apartment a little over 2 years and I never notice this plant bloom!

Surprise .. surprise! (spoken in my best Gomer Pyle voice) This plant is pretty dang big! (known to grow up to 40 ft. tall)

Very strange blooms ...and lots of tiny activity going on around them!

...ah.. bee's !  must be some sweetness up there!

Info: It produces racemes up to 2 meters (6.5 feet) long containing up to 1,000 small dull red flowers.

... lots of bee's!!

 

Info: The plant produces up to 1000 flowers generating large amounts of nectar which attracts honey-eating birds which then spread the seeds. (there's a lotta spreadin' goin' on!)

I just thought it looked interesting enough to post.. heh.. You can't get much luckier eh?! .. oh.. true.. you could win the lottery!

8 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Wow, that's an unusual plant though the leaves look familiar so I'm guessing we can get those for houseplants here but maybe they don't flower - not warm enough. And look at all those bees all over it!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!

10:49 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

LOVE this Plant---And the Flowers are Fantastic...! And I LOVE that the Birds and The Bees are getting nourishment from this---Have the Hummingbirds come, too? This is such an unusual plant/tree...I've never seen it before....!

1:09 PM  
Blogger madcobug said...

Those flowers are beautiful that are on the plant. Just think how much nectar the bees could get for honey. They look like small apples. Helen

4:29 PM  
Blogger animewookie said...

Thats sooooome plant ;) Great pics pat :D

7:58 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That is one cool ass tree! :p And I love all of the bees :) I love bees so much

10:55 PM  
Blogger Gavin said...

Wow, that is some tree and those are great pics, Pat. I's love to see the birds that drink that nectar.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Wow, what an interesting plant but I am scared of all of those bees even though I know they are doing good work!

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home