My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Books (Now, there's a surprising title from moi!)

My friend Dorothy and I ran an errand yesterday and true to form we had (had, mind you!) to go to at least one Thrift Store and look through boxes of books.  Dorothy found numerous books (25 cents for paperbacks, 50 cents for hardbacks) but since I have so many books at home I have become (somewhat) reluctant to pick up most of what I see so that "one day I will get to it".. heh.

Anyway  I did get 3 books... and one came in the mail. (hanging head in shame)..... And once again I bought two of the fifty cent books not know if I will EVER read them!...but.. in fairness... they were only 50 cents each!  Who know?! A miracle might happen!!!   Here is what I scrounged in the huge boxes to find..........................

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King.   Also, Death of a Chimney Sweep by M.C. Beaton. One other from the fifty cent pile is below: Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain....however this is a 1912 copywrite.

The Other book:  Books to Die For, edited by John Connelly & Declan Burke, I bought used from Amazon.  I can blame Cath for that one! (The blame is all about my "sis", about my sis, about my sis.... lol)

Amazon: Books to Die For....

The world’s greatest mystery writers on the world’s greatest mystery novels:
Michael Connelly on The Little Sister . . .
Kathy Reichs on The Silence of the Lambs . . .
Mark Billingham on The Maltese Falcon . . .
Ian Rankin on I Was Dora Suarez . . .
With so many mystery novels to choose among, and so many new titles appearing each year, where should a reader start? What are the classics of the genre? Which are the hidden gems?
In the most ambitious anthology of its kind yet attempted, the world’s leading mystery writers have come together to champion the greatest mystery novels ever written. In a series of personal essays that often reveal as much about the authors and their own work as they do about the books that they love, 119 authors from 20 countries have created a guide that will be indispensable for generations of readers and writers. From Agatha Christie to Lee Child, from Edgar Allan Poe to P. D. James, from Sherlock Holmes to Hannibal Lecter and Philip Marlowe to Lord Peter Wimsey, Books to Die For brings together the cream of the mystery world for a feast of reading pleasure, a treasure trove for those new to the genre and for those who believe that there is nothing new left to discover. This is the one essential book for every reader who has ever finished a mystery novel and thought . . .
I want more!

I don't really read Stephen King.. I took this for his cover, it's pristine condition and the price! lol

Below is the 1912 copywrite edition of Huckleberry Finn..

  This book plate was inside the cover. I can only think it must be someone who owned the book at one time, and found a book plate that would look as old as the book!

Below are two Illo's that are in the book.

If anyone I know would like this old version let me know! ( it would be a freebee!) I just couldn't leave it in the thrift store being tossed around like garbage.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

It came! No sign of mine yet but it won't be long I know. LOL! Yeah... I'll take the blame.

You got some good books and 50c is really cheap.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Enjoy your new books!!

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home