My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, April 02, 2015

What She Left Behind

What She Left Behind by Ellen Marie Wiseman.

Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Kensington;(December 31, 2013)
ISBN-10: 0758278454

Ten years ago, Izzy Stone's mother fatally shot her father while he slept. Devastated by her mother's apparent insanity, Izzy, now seventeen, refuses to visit her in prison. But her new foster parents, employees at the local museum, have enlisted Izzy's help in cataloging items at a long-shuttered state asylum. There, amid piles of abandoned belongings, Izzy discovers a stack of unopened letters, a decades-old journal, and a window into her own past.
Clara Cartwright, eighteen years old in 1929, is caught between her overbearing parents and her love for an Italian immigrant. Furious when she rejects an arranged marriage, Clara's father sends her to a genteel home for nervous invalids. But when his fortune is lost in the stock market crash, he can no longer afford her care--and Clara is committed to the public asylum.
Even as Izzy deals with the challenges of yet another new beginning, Clara's story keeps drawing her into the past. If Clara was never really mentally ill, could something else explain her own mother's violent act? Piecing together Clara's fate compels Izzy to re-examine her own choices--with shocking and unexpected results.
Illuminating and provocative, What She Left Behind is a masterful novel about the yearning to belong--and the mysteries that can belie even the most ordinary life.

Oh-M-G !!! This book took me by surprise!!  I knew it was about a young girl wrongly put into an asylum, and I thought this would be something different to read for a change.

Hello! I couldn't put this book down longer then it took for my blurry eyes to clear up enough to pick it up again! 

As the Amazon review says, it is about two young girls, years apart.  A long time ago it was about Clara being put into the asylum and the "now" part was about Izzy who's mother killed her father when she was very young and her mother was in prison for the crime and Izzy was put into the Fostering system.

This book reminds me of The Thirteenth Tale, in that no matter how horrendous things were I couldn't stop reading.  I needed to find out how it all turns out!  Both stories were compelling.  Both had horrendous things happening.  And I needed to know the endings for both of the females!!!

This author did a lot of research to find out what asylums were like back then in order to write Clara's part of the story, and boy did she do her homework!  This scared me more then any murder mystery!  Yet I couldn't stop reading!

This book is surely going to stay on my "OMG this was a great book" list!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

This sounds like one of those family secrets books you like (and me). I bet it scared you as these asylums were dreadful places... as bad as the workhouses which my own grandmother was so scared of as a child. Life was pretty awful back then for women especially.

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home