My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

1944

Below is a list of songs that came out in 1944.. the year I was born.  I guess they all did pretty darn good because I can hum or (sorta) sing along with most of these songs and I don't think my memory on the year I was born would be THAT  good to remember them!!

1944's Greatest Hits
1. Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral - Bing Crosby
2. Trolley Song - Judy Garland 
3. Swinging On A Star - Bing Crosby 
4. Hamp's Boogiw Woogie - Lionel Hampton
5. Mairzy Doates - Merry Macs
6. You Always Hurt The One You Love - Mills Brothers 7. Twilight Time - Les Brown 
8. It Could Happen to You - Jo Stafford
9. Don't Fence Me In - Bing Crosby & the Andrews Sisters 
10. Besame Mucho - Jimmy Dorsey 
11. San Fernando Valley - Bing Crosby
12. Shoo-Shoo Baby - Andrews Sisters
13. I'll Walk Alone - Dinah Shore
14. I'm Making Believe - Ella Fitzgerald & Ink Spots
15. I'll Be Seeing You - Bing Crosby
16. Straighten Up And Fly Right - The King Cole Trio
17. Main Stem - Duke Ellington
18. G.I. Jive - Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five
19. My Heart Tells Me - Glen Gray
20. Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me - Duke Ellington
21. Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall - Ella Fitzgerald & Ink Spots
22. I'm Lost - Benny Carter
23. I Love You - Bing Crosby
24. Cow-Cow Boogie -(Cuma-Ti-Yi-Yi-Ay) - Ink Spots with Ella Fitzgerald
25. It's Love-Love-Love - Guy Lombardo

Here's a list of movies release that same year........

I'm not always great at remembering "titles" but I'd say for sure I've seen at least 90 percent of these old movies.. could be 100 percent but a few titles aren't jumping right out at me.

Adventures of Mark Twain
American Romance, An
Arsenic and Old Lace
Between Two Worlds
Children Are Watching Us, The
Cover Girl
Double Indemnity
Dragon Seed
Fighting Seabees, The
Gaslight
Going My Way
Great Moment, The
Hail the Conquering Hero
Henry V
Jane Eyre
Laura
Lifeboat
Meet Me in St. Louis
Miracle of Morgan's Creek, The
Mr. Skeffington
Mrs. Parkington
Murder, My Sweet
Music for Millions
National Velvet
Passage to Marseille
Seventh Cross, The
Show Business
Since You Went Away
Sullivans, The
Sunday Dinner for a Soldier
Suspect, The
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
To Have and Have Not

I am not sure why I looked up these lists.  It's said that one should not dwell on the past, that it's not healthy or good for you.   It made me wonder why they say that.  When a person has nothing left to look forward too, the past is all they have.  And for the most part, the memories of times long past might even make us smile.  Is that so wrong?

I think many people look back just to help get through life... 

When we who are old are  feeling our age, and knowing how close the end is.. it is hard not to try to remember when we were young. 

...To a time when life seemed unending.

...To a time when there were few responsibilities.

...Few losses of relatives or friends.

...And to a time when tomorrow seemed to take a long time coming.

I just finished reading a book titled: Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story  by Carolyn Turgeon.  It may well be the reason I thought to write this post. I swear that  Carolyn Turgeon climbed inside of my head and ripped out thoughts and feelings I have about being old.  How she did this I don't know because some of what she wrote are just thoughts and feelings that are not said out loud unless totally alone while looking in a mirror. 

But there is more.. something people over 30 but under 50 should know.

..wrinkles don't happen by looking at someone with them, and they need others in their life too.

...gray hair is going to happen to you, like it or not.

...sagging skin is not contagious, but unavoidable unless very rich and you like surgery.

Strangely enough, very young children seem to like old people and even gravitate towards them.  But sometime after youth but before old age, they just don't want to be around old people, even (or especially) their parents.  Quite possibly this is because they don't want to see, on a daily basis, what they will be in what they are beginning to realize, is a very short time.

But they don't think.

They don't realize the loneliness and the fears of being unwanted and alone.

The times have changed greatly.. another reason old people like to think back to "the old days".  There was a time... and it was a given... when your parents became elderly the children took them in and took care of them, lived with them, helped them in all the ways they helped them when they were very young.  It was a given.  No one thought about it.  It was a given.  It was family.

It seems that's all changed.  And most of it is due to the economy.  The costs of everything are so high both spouses are forced to work.  Many kids are latchkey kids, coming home to an empty house.  No one is there to care if the elderly exist or not.

I can hear some of you denying this, and I am not saying it's everyone.. but if you think what I say is untrue... go to some senior living places and ask them. 

..Ask them how they feel living alone. 

..Ask them how it feels to have to live with no one but other elders and to watch them die one by one, so that death surrounds you .

..Ask them if they feel loved by relatives.  I think anyone who does is in for a surprise response.

In case you couldn't guess I am having a rough day.. just needed to spout off some.  Not even sure it helps.

I'll try to be back in a better mood!

11 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Since I was also born in 1944, you said a lot of things here that I can relate to.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I know six of these songs by heart but I think I've only seen one movie. Sorry you're having a rough day :(

8:40 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Donna: scarey huh?! lol

Tink: only one movie?!! ACK!.. please tell me it was Arsenic and Old Lace!

8:58 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, my dear Pat, being 13 years older than you, I know ALL the songs and have seen every film but one, (The Children Are Watching Us---Vittorio DeSica), and have seen most of those films, many many MANY times....That was a Vintage year in every way, wasn't it....

I agree with everything you said, my dear Pat....And maybe I'm having a rough time, too, but the truth is the truth and when it looks like you don't have much to look forward to, you DO think about the past and happier times.
It is funny to me in a way, when people say, don't look back at the past----Well, if no one did that, we wouldn't have more than half the books that we do....'The Memoir' is a very important Historical Document, in every way, from every period in history, as well as 'The Biography'....!
And as to all these so called retirement homes, etc.....THAT has to be the most depressing place to end ones life....Surrounded by no one but other old sick infirm people....HELP ME!!!

I do believe one doesn't "get it" until you are up there in age. It is easy for young people to say...Don't Live In The Past.....They have a lot of FUTURE ahead of them. I want to say to them, 'talk to me when you are my age and are living with lots of physical restrictions'...! The Past will bring back better times and as you said so very eloquently, help you live today.
I'm glad you shared all these feelings Pat....Very Well Said, my dear.

10:28 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: I totally agree that no matter how much they think they understand they don't until they are there. The question is : why ? Because without really getting how the elderly feel..nothing will ever be done to change it. What does it take to make relatives and friends look at each other and love and care for them at ALL ages? Oh, many think they do.. but when it comes down to actualy "you may need to live with us".. it's a different story. Party, they feel they can't afford it.. partly as they look at you they don't want to see you grow old and die (I know that one after 9 yrs of caring for my brother) But the alternative is to be sorry when they are gone..not having loved them enough. oh well I don't know the answers..

5:23 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Oh, good, now I have 'I'll be Seeing You' stuck in my head! lol I know a lot of the songs, but I am hopeless when it comes to movies!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

another thing that captures me is my nose. This weekend I walked outside at my daughters house, and the early morning mist smelled like when I was a kid.

Same sort of feeling drifting thru me as you mentioned

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

Awww ! Cute picture of you Pat !
For a couple of months, I saw a copy of "Since You Went Away" on DVD at Hastings. I finally went to go purchase it and it was gone. Darn ! I will have to order it I guess. Shirley Temple and Jennifer Jones in some great performances !!! I was hoping to see something by The Andrews Sisters on your song list ! Sure enough, I did :-) (Patty Andrews is still alive and well at a spry
91 ! The Andrews Sisters made guest appearances in many films, including 1944's "Hollywood Canteen" !

12:21 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: oops, sorry 'bout that lol but it could be worse.. could be a song from a commercial!

Pam: that's happened to me on occasion too but not for a long time..very strange how things like that happen ..

Daniel: I always find it somewhat shocking when young folk like the old movies and old music.. they were so different back then.. the actors honed their craft by being in numerous movies each year.. and the singers of those days really carried music in their voices. (maybe not all.. but most)

4:20 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I don't think we should get 'lost' in the past, but revisiting the past seems like a healthy thing to me. I think it is good to examine one's life, especially the happy things.

Some great songs there, especially the Bing and Ella's. Also the Trolley song...love that!

Oh, and the movies! Arsenic and Old Lace, Meet Me in St. Louis, Miracle and Morgan's Creek, National Velvet...such favorites! You were born in a great year!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Nope, though that is on my need to watch list. The only one I've seen is Meet Me in St. Louis (about a billion times too).

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home