My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Book 2 for RIP VI: Perils the First
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.
Hardcover: 352 pages
Publisher: Quirk Books;(June 7, 2011)
ISBN-10: 1594744769


Amazon.com Review
Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2011: As a kid, Jacob formed a special bond with his grandfather over his bizarre tales and photos of levitating girls and invisible boys. Now at 16, he is reeling from the old man's unexpected death. Then Jacob is given a mysterious letter that propels him on a journey to the remote Welsh island where his grandfather grew up. There, he finds the children from the photographs--alive and well--despite the islanders’ assertion that all were killed decades ago. As Jacob begins to unravel more about his grandfather’s childhood, he suspects he is being trailed by a monster only he can see. A haunting and out-of-the-ordinary read, debut author Ransom Rigg’s first-person narration is convincing and absorbing, and every detail he draws our eye to is deftly woven into an unforgettable whole. Interspersed with photos throughout, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a truly atmospheric novel with plot twists, turns, and surprises that will delight readers of any age.

From the moment this book was in my hand... it felt different.  A little smaller in size than some, but firm.  I flipped the pages and felt the paper.  A much better quality of paper than most, the lines are 1.5 spaced instead of single spaced, and the size font was readable.  Add to that all the pictures that were in the book!  Pictures and or illustrations I love when they are in a book.  The book even has fancy page numbering at the bottom... this book was done right!  Why can't more books have this much love put into them along with the story??
Ok .. so all looked great, now I had to hope the story was as good as the book looked... it was.
From the first sentence in the prologue: I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen. The author caught my attention... and quite easily kept my attention through the entire book.
This is a perfect book for RIP, so if you haven't read it.. you well might want to add it to  your list because I don't think you will be disappointed.
Jacob's story is quite amazing. When he was young, one might say that his Grandfather tried to prepare him...but how does one prepare for what one does not believe in??   Surely, a person can not really float up into the air.  And surely there is no such thing as being invisible.   Is there?
When the time comes that Jacob no longer thought that his grandfather was crazy is when Jacob's adventure begins. Once it begins you are have to keep reading to see what's next. 
I have to say that the only disappointment in the entire book is how it drops off suddenly to set it up for the "next book"... it's pretty blatant, and hard to miss, and although it doesn't leave you with a *cliff hanger* it was just a tiny bit disappointing.  I guess I am used to either having that cliff hanger and thinking *how can they do that to me?!!! argh!* or, the book being more completed but yet knowing another adventure would be in store. 
However, I will say that the ending does not deter me from saying this was a very enjoyable book and that I think anyone who reads it will totally enjoy it too.

15 Comments:

Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Yay!! Glad you enjoyed it..sounds like you'll have another series on your list...lol

12:08 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm glad you liked it! Having read this on my Kindle, it was great to know what the print version was like.

When I was getting to around the last 30 pages I realized all the loose threads that couldn't possibly be tied up before the end of the book and realized I'd be left with a lot hanging. And we have to wait until 2013! Bummer!

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures are what really drew me to this book. I can't wait to read it!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

LOL--you had the same complaint as I did! But also like you, it didn't make me all of sudden dislike the book or anything. And YES!!! It is just such a beautifully made book, isn't it? I just adore the photos. Adore them.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

It's on my list!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I really enjoyed this! I am glad you did, too!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I had no doubt that you would enjoy this one. It is a good one. Stout book too, it is very different feeling than most books.

I didn't mind the ending all that much. It was more abrupt than it needed to be and it does set things up for another one, but it left me content enough that had there not been a sequel announced I would have still enjoyed it.

5:17 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: hush about "another series!" lol

Elizabeth: well that won't be as long as people waited for some books lol..but longer then is comfortable.

lola: it amazes me when photo's or graphics or artwork are in a book because I know it costs alot to do that.

Debi: read what I say to carl.

Daphne: I doubt you will be disappointed.

kelly: I think I was wondering where it would go at the end so.. i was a little disappointed but not alot.

Carl: well I still feel sorry for his father who still doesn't know what h is dad saw was real and why he wasn't a father to him being too busy protecting everyone from the monsters. So I see why the ending was as it was ..so there could be more stories to come... but Dad was left out to dry.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I'm hoping my library gets this one back in soon.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

Oh, you've caught my attention completely! I now want this book immediately! Love your description of it physically, too. Off to order it...shall I send you the bill? ;) xoxo

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Michelle @ 1morechapter said...

This one looks good, but I might wait to read it until the next one is out. I can never stand waiting!!

8:19 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

bellezza: send all bills to Carl for creating RIP!!! lol

Michelle: I am generally like you in that I want all or most of the books out before beginning a series. And although I really did enjoy this book.. I don't think I will be reading the sequel.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

If so then I'm sending out bills for all the books I buy because of others' suggestions during R.I.P. LOL!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

This sounds very good! The last thing I need is to get started on another series, though!!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

This one has been on my list for awhile and even more so after reading your review!

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home