My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, October 29, 2007

A YA book for your Consideration

The Tigers Egg: The Wednesday Tales, Vol.2 by Jon Berkeley
Reading level: Ages 9-12
Hardcover: 416 pages
Publisher: Julie Andrews Collection (September 18, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0060755105


Illustrated by Brandon Dorman. (who I have discovered has done the illustrations for a number of books including: the Fablehaven books, a book called The Slippery Map and one called Nightmare Academy.)
This was book two about Miles Wednesday. I enjoyed both The Palace of Laughter and The Tigers Egg, and look forward to whenever the third installment may come out.
In The Tigers Egg orphaned, 12 year old, Miles and his friend Little join the circus. They meet up with Doctor Tau-Tau who can read the future. Miles learns that Tau-Tau knew his mother and father and tries to have him tell him about them. But in truth Tau-Tau is more interested in searching for his mothers elusive "tigers egg" (which is actually a stone) that is fabled to hold the soul of a tiger. There is the return of the "villian" the Great Cortado, and the "beast" called the Null, which keeps the story moving in the direction of finding the truth about Miles' parents.
The book is written in a little larger print for young kids and is adventurous (but not to the point it couldn't be possible), and would keep a kids attention easily. I have found that at times these YA books give me a chance for some light and entertaining reading and at the same time have well written stories like none that I wouldn't find in adult books.
Was this book absolutely captivating? Well, no.. but it is very enjoyable and I will certainly purchase the next book when it comes out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

decided to join you over here at blogger. Trying to decide if I should leave this one or the other feed to your other blog. do you copy and paste???


You always have such great ideas - and I still haven't bought any books for christmas or birthdays for the grandkids. Just haven't been organized. What age for this one you think?

pamelathedust@yahoo.com

10:58 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pam: this is my "main blog"..the wordpress one is just copied to it as a backup.. i've heard horror stories of people loosing their blogs so I am covering my fat butt!

11:44 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I thought the cover art looked familiar on these! I can definitely see now that it's the Fablehaven guy! I love his illustrations, they're great. These books sounds fun. You're riht, YA books are always guaranteed fun and they're light hearted. Whenever I just need something to entertain me I pick one up. Glad you enjoyed it!

12:41 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

The cover of the book is amazing and I love your photo, Deslily. The book sounds like it would be great, too.

cjh

2:44 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: yeah, looks like this artist is making the rounds for kids books!

cj: lately i find more ya authors I enjoy than I do adult books.. go figure huh?!

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home