My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The Day of the Heron

The Big Heron flew in today just when I had my camera in my hand.. I thought that was nice of him!

While the small heron stayed around in front of my apartment.

As it does many times.. the afternoon brought rain.... the big Heron happen to be close to my apartment and the rain was not directed at my door so I could take some rain shots..  I love that you can see the raindrops on the water.

Other than the everyday appearance of the small Herons and the occasional visit of the big Heron the pond has be quiet, allowing the Moorhen chicks to grow rapidly. (sad note: one baby is gone..we are down to three)

The rain didn't stop the Heron from it's rounds to find something to eat!

...and then later that evening...

Amazing, isn't it?...

9 Comments:

Blogger Ana S. said...

Wow...amazing indeed! I love the heron too...so elegant!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

That first shot is amazing, Pat! And yeah you caught the raindrops just right. Wonderful sunset. :-)

9:16 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures Pat....These long-legged birds look so vulneravle to me---Maybe it is because their legs are so long and spindley...Beautiful Birds!
Great Sunset picture!

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Shanra said...

"Day of the Heron" should be a story title. (You write it! ^-~)

They're gorgeous pictures, Pat! There's something oddly appealing about herons, in my opinion. But don't ask me to put it into words!

3:12 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: that Heron and the Wood Stork are the two "big birds" so far around here. the rest are pretty small actually.

Cath: it's been quiet around the pond. not a lot of "visitors" lol

Hi Naomi: yes their legs look delicate but I have never seen one with a bum leg! (thank goodness)

Shanra: I wrote one trilogy that was all that was in me lol.. you are welcome to the title if you want it hahahahaha

5:39 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Great pictures Pat. I love the sunset. It's a shame one of the moorhen's chicks are gone. It has been a pleasant day here today. Didn't see the sun all day with just a sprinkle of rain. Hugs, Helen

7:54 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

That last picture of the sunset is so gorgeous! So is that heron :) So sad about the little baby moorhen though :( I hope the other 3 stay safe!!

11:06 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Helen: There's going to be good news on the Moorhen chick.. more like amazing news.. stay tuned!

Chris: read what I just wrote to Helen lol.. sometimes miracles happen, I just hope it doesn't change again.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Very pretty! I definitely wouldn't want to get up close to those herons though...

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home