My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Name of the Wind

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

Paperback: 672 pages
Publisher: DAW Trade; (April 7, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0756405890




From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. The originality of Rothfuss's outstanding debut fantasy, the first of a trilogy, lies less in its unnamed imaginary world than in its precise execution. Kvothe ("pronounced nearly the same as 'Quothe' "), the hero and villain of a thousand tales who's presumed dead, lives as the simple proprietor of the Waystone Inn under an assumed name. Prompted by a biographer called Chronicler who realizes his true identity, Kvothe starts to tell his life story. From his upbringing as an actor in his family's traveling troupe of magicians, jugglers and jesters, the Edema Ruh, to feral child on the streets of the vast port city of Tarbean, then his education at "the University," Kvothe is driven by twin imperatives—his desire to learn the higher magic of naming and his need to discover as much as possible about the Chandrian, the demons of legend who murdered his family.

Well, amazon's review is nice and Carl's review even better...

My review sucks as they always do! But I will say a few words about the book anyway, because that's what I do....

..yes, the book was very good.

..yes it was long.

..yes I will read book 2, which I already have.(and which is longer than book one... lord help me ..1,000 pages?! that should be two books not one !)

..I have to say that I felt something odd about this book which I have not felt with any other book..it's not bad and it's not good, it just IS. I kept feeling that this book is written for a man. Nope not a bad thing and yet a little something was missing (?) from the book to make me feel that way, but I can't tell you what it is, I just know I found myself thinking that it was written for men a number of times as I read it and I've never had that thought about a book before, not even the war filled, gory LOtR.

..yes, in case you wondered, there are a few females in the book, that's not it.

..the book is written quite like a biography.. and I enjoyed that, like listening to your new friend tell you the story of his life... in quite a bit of detail. As others I know who have read the book, I really like Kvothe.

.. I found myself picking up the book to read much more readily then I expected to. And I absolutely loved that it has short chapters!! (I always read more at each sitting with a book that has short chapters)

..I also liked that the book is very original.. more so than many others I have read.

..I do believe anyone who reads this book will enjoy it (it's hard not to) ..one is easily sucked into the story. Kvothe is a really good protagonist that has a story to tell...and tell it he does.

..and lastly, before I head for book 2.. I hope book 3 doesn't take 3 or 4 yrs to come out!

Addendum :

I have begun book 2 and my brain kicked into gear and I thought, "Patrick Rothfuss must have taken lessons from Charles Dickens and Wilke Collins to have written such long books!"

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds fantastic - I'm always one the lookout for OUaT books to check out! Thanks for a great review.

11:33 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Such an interesting comment Pat...I mean what you said about the book being written for men--and NEVER Ever feeling that way before about any book you've read...! And, you have read more books than ANYONE I know!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I have so much else to read but this is on my list to get at some stage. Interetsing that it felt to you like a book written by a man for men. That's unusual but I have felt that way before, but rarely. Glad you liked it enough to start on book 2 immediately.

12:10 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath:I always felt all the "big wars" in fantasy was "men stuff" but never really thought the words" this was written for men"..but I did with this book. and I can't say why cause I don't know why lol. But it still was good enough for me to go and tackle his second book which is almost 1,000 pages!!!!! I think it will be the last for OUaT lol.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Fence said...

It's interesting you say that about it being a book for men, because Rothfuss has made a point of saying on his blog that he dislikes the usual fantasy (mis)treatment of female characters.

I didn't get the impression that it was *for* men, but definitely a male POV, but there are bits in the second book that show that Kvothe is learning a little how different the world can be for women.

5:59 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Fence: I sure don't see any mistreatment of woman here lol just the opposite he's quite a gentleman. I think I've read many a book with a male POV and not felt this way..I just can't say why my thought kept feeling this was a mans story meant to be read by another man???? Whatever lol I still enjoyed it and have begun book 2. daunting though it is! To me it reads like his autobiography so woman don't need a big part in the story ..he's a fantastic writer though..he really does is a bit long winded in the scope of Dickens and Collins.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Hi Pat - i read this two years ago and really liked it. I find what you say interesting, that it's a man's fantasy written for a man. I will have to keep this in mind while I read the second one (when I get it). I'm happy the second one is finally out! I'll keep in mind the Dickens comment, too :-) I enjoy how the story is laid out, and it is surprisingly gripping - well-told, and frightening in places, and then of course who doesn't like magical schools? lol

10:00 PM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

I have had that feeling before with a few books. It's really hard to put into words, just....that vibe..lol Anyway, sounds like an interesting read. Maybe I'll try to tackle it over the summer...after your review of the next one of course :D

6:57 AM  
Blogger Fence said...

He is long winded. And I think a lot could have been trimmed, but at the same time I'm really glad it wasn't, because he writes really well and I never found any of it boring.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I honestly haven't been able to decide if I want to read this one or not. Of course, I have a few books to keep me busy while I decide. :P

I absolutely LOVE short chapters, too!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Jodie Robson said...

What a lot of interesting comments! I've decided to download a sample to read tonight - if I like that, I'll buy the book to read while I'm on various train journeys next week.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home