My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Hide and Seek With Angels

Hide and Seek With Angels by Lisa Chaney.
Hardcover: 432 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Press (June 27, 2006)
ISBN-10: 0312357796


From Booklist
Obsessed with time and mortality, James Barrie created in Peter Pan a myth with enduring, worldwide appeal. Chaney thoughtfully examines Barrie's inner life from childhood in Kirriemuir, Scotland, to wild, international success. She describes young James as unexceptional, small for his age, but "cheerful enough," though not much was expected of him. When beloved elder brother David died accidentally, James perfected David's mannerisms and wore his clothes to assuage his grieving mother--unsuccessfully. Even that early, he was a natural storyteller who needed to perform and make himself visible. But when he announced he wanted to be a writer, his parents were flabbergasted. Later, after Barrie moved to London and achieved fame and fortune, Kirriemuir represented for him all that was good and wholesome, and he returned to it again and again. Chaney discusses Barrie's work (many successful novels and plays), ill-fated marriage, complex mother-son relationship, friendship with Sylvia Llewelyn Davies and her sons, and the origins and evolution of his masterpiece so as to bring to life a most complicated, enigmatic, and melancholy man. June Sawyers
So... 100 or so pages into this book and I can not pick it up yet again. 
This is not me, and obviously, I paid for the book (not used) and knew enough of J M Barrie to think that a book about his life would prove interesting... and well it may,.. but the author is leaving me flat and bored. 
The book seems to be full of statistics but not told in a way to make me want to keep reading the book.  It's a given that it could be me and the fact that I've been sick lately. .. and so if you like the Amazon review it's quite possible that you may like to try it for yourself. I don't like to give a negative review of anything, knowing full well I don't like some things others love and vice versa.
I have to say that I loved Neverland by Piers Dudgeon. And it was due to that book that made me want to read more of Barrie's life.   Unfortunately this book wasn't doing it for me and so I have set it aside and will find (somewhere in my mountain of tbr books) something else to read.
Therefore I am sorry to say that I will not be able to list Hide and Seek With Angels and my next enjoyable read, but I hope others do find it interesting and enjoyable.

6 Comments:

Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

I'm amazed you read 100 pages of it...they must have been looooong and tedious ;) I know you had said it wasn't exactly your cut of tea early on. You definitely gave it that good college try ;)

9:03 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: me too since I like boigraphies

9:11 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I reckon not everyone writing a biogrpahy will make a good job of it and you got one of those. Annoyijng since you paid good money for it. Better luck with your next book, Pat. Got your e.mail will answer later tonight.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Sorry you didn't enjoy it more Pat! The book is probably just not that well written!

4:08 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This sounds so dry and NON-Magical....I can understand not being able to contiue plodding through this book. There are other books about Barrie that one cannot put down---but it sounds like this AIN'T one of them...! I trust your review Pat, and don't think I could get through it either....How did you ever read as much of it as you did?

12:39 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I wanted to read more about him after reading the same book, but haven't actually done so yet. I guess this will not be the one I choose...

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home