My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, January 05, 2013

A Forgotten Piece of My Tolkien Collection

Sometimes I wonder where my brain is. (sometimes??)

The other day I was digging in my closet (remember: tiny apartment means squeezing stuff into small areas)… when I came upon this vest my brother had made….

eowynvest2[1]

It belongs in that Tolkien collection I posted about…

Not only did my brother sew this leather vest but he drew Eowyn on another piece of leather and then sewed it to the back of the vest…

eowynvest[1]

I am too fat for it to fit around my waist but I wore it “open” when I went out the other day.. remembering again that I live in a place where everyone is over 65.. no one even noticed the vest!  (depressing I know!)

My brother had also painted the Nazgul on a piece of leather but never got around to making another vest. (bummer)  I am not certain but I’m pretty sure he copied the drawings from an old Frank Frazetta book.  It’s such a shame that they sit here in a closet and never get seen. I sometimes wish I could sell it but leather isn’t cheap and neither is a “one of a kind” drawn piece of artwork, and I’d never get even close to it’s value.

nazgul[1]

I think that’s the end of the Tolkien collection.

I think.

11 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

Those really are amazing!!!!

7:46 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Your dear brother was a true Artist! That Vest is Fantastic!

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous !!! This post just made my day. The artwork is stunning. (I've always been a fan of Eowyn)

5:31 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

OMG, he drew and painted those? They are beautiful.

2:03 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

thank you all! I miss my brothers talents more than anyone could know.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Your brother was talented!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Those are so beautiful, Pat. What an amazingly talented man he was.

8:36 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Thanks Kelly.

Cath: it always amazed me how easily art came to him

8:38 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Creative talent surely ran in your family! (And don't you dare even try to deny that you're a talented artist yourself!)

6:21 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Yes, they are copies of Frazetta's work. Frazetta is one of the few old school artists that I like his Tolkien renderings. These are great, your brother did a fantastic job. Wow!!!

So glad you came across this and still have it, it is a wonderful piece in and of itself and an even better one given your personal connection to it.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Wow, that's a really special piece Pat!

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home