My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, June 01, 2013

Once Upon a Star Trek…

A few years back… before the first of J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies came out.. the photo’s below appeared on websites…

I thought:  Well, he cute as heck but he’s no Kirk.

kirkk_zps40d7bf02[1]

I thought: I wonder how well he will do with the Vulcan pinch?

spk_zps247c0334[1]

I thought:  Someone else play McCoy?!  Not gunna happen!

320x240_zps319dc396[1]

I thought: wow just as pretty but can she really play Uhura?

nichel_zpsa781abdb[1]

I thought: What? Another Miracle Worker?  I doubt it.

dooha_zps45d6153a[1]

I thought: Wow two great smiles, but can he be as “cute” a Russian as Walter?

chek_zps97734294[1]

I thought:  hmm a young Sulu? I wonder if he can fence?

sulu_zps0db11b05[1]

And I never gave a thought to Pike!… but this one did make me wish I was younger so I could have a crush!

hunter_zps0ea18ff4[1]

I thought many things.. none of which were very positive.  It was one thing to do Star Trek movies but it would be sacrilegious to use the same names of the Originals! 

Kirk is Shatner!

Spock is Nimoy!

McCoy is Kelley!

No way is a different face with the same name going to convince me that these were the men and woman from the “original” Star Trek that I have loved for so very long!

Well..

………….no way until Karl Urban really, really did act like McCoy.

And no way, until Karl Urban even sounded a bit like McCoy. (what’s happening to me?!)

That make me look closer at the others… after all, this was supposed to be them at a much younger age than they were when we last saw them in the movies! 

Hmmm.. yep.. Kirk is still arrogant.

Spock can still keep a straight face and deliver the “fascinating” line.

I will admit, different time line or not, it’s still a tad hard excepting the love of Spock and Uhura… but I’m getting there.

And Chekov just made me laugh out loud with this cute Russian accent!              (W-W-Wicktor, W-W-Wicktor…)

Sulu,the man who, way in the future would captain his own ship, was still learning how to take a ship out of dock.. that made me smile .

And then the miracle worker came aboard ……and made miracles!

Holy Cow!  … This was really going to happen!

I was  not only going to see the transformation.. but like it so much that I’d feel like I did when the originals finally got to make their own movies!! This is surreal!

How can I possibly be  34 years older (from the first movie) and still feel this way?  How is it that I could hardly wait to see the next movie?  This shouldn’t be happening to someone MY age!  I should be over all the memories of those movies and conventions!  But there I was going back to that new movie and then even buying it and watching it more!  *fist in air* “I curse thee  J.J. Abrams!”

And then … and then…  only a few weeks ago the second Star Trek movie came out.  Once again I “stepped back” thinking that they can’t do it twice to me….

…ok, …………………so I was wrong! (again!)

The actors all fit their parts now!  

They ARE the younger of the originals!  

And they are fantastic! 

The best I can say about Mr. Pine, Mr. Quinto, Ms Saldana, Mr Urban, Mr. Pegg, Mr. Cho and Mr Yechin is this:

If this were the very first Star Trek I ever saw (referring back to the old television series)  I would have fallen for them all as much as I did the Originals.

Never in my life did I think I would say such a thing. 

Is it because I am old now?  Or is it just because this group of actors carries off everything Roddenberry had envisioned his crew to be…and every bit as well?

Deep breath, …………. Wow.

Thank you Gene Roddenberry for your wonderful gift ..

And Thank YOU,  J.J. Abrams, for bringing Star Trek back to life and making me love it every bit as much as I loved the Originals!!

Now.. if you will all excuse me.. I have to leave …  I am going back to the theater to see My Crew …. and to flood my mind with memories, both old and new!

addendum: I didn’t post this before I left.  I’ve seen Star Trek for the 4th time.. can’t wait for the dvd to come out!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

I couldn't agree more Pat. I'm overwhelmed with the quality of the cast and the loyalty to the originals. I just love it!!

2:09 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I think it is WONDERFUL and rather Miraculous that they pulled this off!
So....Just Enjoy it all Pat! I mean, Why Not? It gives you so much pleasure....And I Think That Is GREAT!!!!

12:22 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

me too naomi.. by the way here's a little trivia for you... the woman in Star Trek called Uhura.. well her first name is Naomi! (I think of you each time I hear her called by that lol)

7:02 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I'm so glad you got to see this in the theaters again! I still haven't seen it a first time :( Probably won't until it's out on DVD. I absolutely loved the first one that Abrams did though! Can't wait to see this second one too :)

12:10 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Wow, Pat...this post...just awesome.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Wonderful post, Pat. I love all these new people playing the old characters too and I never expected to. They chose perfectly, the actors are fantastic and I almost love tham as much as the old cast. I never thought I would ever say that. Can't wait for the dvd.

4:59 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I've seen it twice now! I should do a post on it, too. I love the new movie, possibly a little more than the old one, because it brings in Benedict Cumberbatch, and I love him too. Mostly, it's the dialogue, and the characters, and the fact they ring true, absolutely, like you say. Perfect, note perfect. I can hardly wait for the dvd so I can see it over and over! lol It's an amazing reboot that works. Incredible, really, isn't it?

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home