My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Cast of Killers

RIP8main300_zps3f26c546[1]

A Cast of Killers by Sidney D Kirkpatrick. 

(book 2 for RIP)

Publisher: 1986 Dutton, NY, 1st edition (1986)
ASIN: B001DSE0X6
301 pages

0398655a-196e-4f16-b9f3-47b5334c20ab_zpsbfcb9168[2]

 

King Vidor was a legendary film director largely forgotten by Hollywood at the time of his death. Sydney Kirkpatrick came to Vidor's home after his death to research a well deserved biography but instead discovered a buried box full of dynamite. In the box were notes for a planned project which was to be the director's comeback film. But the explosive nature of his findings had prompted Vidor to bury it, literally.


This book is based on what Kirkpatrick found in that box. It is full of mystery and murder, love and lust, and in the end, sadness at the solving of one of the most famous and sensational scandals in the history of tinsletown. It is a mesmerizing journey into the early days of Hollywood and the lengths it would go to to cover up its secrets.


In 1922 the murder of director William Desmond Taylor was so filled with scandal it ruined careers and nearly destroyed Hollywood. If the absolute truth had been known, it might have. King Vidor had been a part of this Hollywood in its formative years and planned to make his comeback film by telling the story of it. Kirkpatrick could have turned this into a pulp type expose but instead, and to his credit, takes a respectful and nostalgic tone, both for Vidor and a time gone by. He uses Vidor's notes and findings to let this murder mystery unfold just as it did for Vidor.


For every film buff with a fascination for old Hollywood this is a book you can't put down. It is juicy but never tawdry, Vidor sifting through the misinformation of Hollywood and the corruption of the police to slowly get a picture of the truth he himself couldn't yet tell because some of the players were still alive. The homicide and the aftermath is filled with names like Mabel Normand, Alan Dwan, James Kirkwood, Gloria Swanson, Claire Windsor, and Charlette Shelby and her waif like daughter Mary Miles Minter, an early rival of Mary Pickford.

Well.. this I consider a real “who done it” story!

This would be the second book about a true Hollywood murder that I’ve read.  The first being The Black Dahlia.   When I found this book at a thrift shop and read the flap that it was a real murder mystery and it happened in early Hollywood, I figured I would give it a go, since I do enjoy reading about the early days in Hollywood.

The book was very straight forward, of Vidor researching information on a long ago unsolved murder for the possibility of turning it into a movie.   The more information (or lack of) that he came up against just made him that more determined to keep on searching. 

Naturally, in the beginning there were more questions than answers.  Somewhere along the way you begin having your own theories  but proof was the thing Vidor had the hardest time finding.  Many involved in the old murder where dead, and others would only produce hints and not facts.

I enjoyed this book very much.  Fast reading.  Always ready for the next chapter or two to see what is, or is not, uncovered.

Most of the people involved were not names that jumped out at me, but it didn’t make the story any less interesting.   It does leave one with the thoughts that an old saying that has been around for ages may have some truth to it… that with enough money you can get away with murder.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Wow, Pat, This must have been a fascinating book! You clearly really enjoyed it, and that's wonderful. I think your last quote says it all, with enough money etc... and I firmly believe that to be true. Loved reading about this book.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Sounds very intriguing! And it sounds like your second RIP book was a much better read for you than your first. Yay!!!

7:23 AM  
Blogger samantha.1020 said...

This sounds like a really intriguing read! And I just love the cover for it :) I'm going to have to add this one to my TBR list. Thanks for sharing since I hadn't heard of this one before now!

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home