My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, January 01, 2015

The Hills is Lonely

The Hills is Lonely by Lillian Beckwith.

Paperback: 274 pages
Publisher: House of Stratus (January 6, 2009)
ISBN-10: 075510269X

 

When Lillian Beckwith advertised for a secluded place in the country, she received a letter with the following unusual description of an isolated Hebridean croft: ‘Surely it’s that quiet even the sheeps themselves on the hills is lonely and as to the sea it’s that near as I use it myself everyday for the refusals…’ Her curiosity aroused, Beckwith took up the invitation. This is the comic and enchanting story of the strange rest cure that followed and her efforts to adapt to a completely different way of life.

For my first book of 2015 I've chosen a Christmas present that was given to me by Cath, from across the pond.  Cath had read this book and reviewed it and and I mentioned it sounded good, so low and behold it was delivered to my door! There are a number of others things I could mention that sound good to me but somehow I don't think they'd ever be delivered to my door ! lol

Lillian is told she needs a break and a good rest and so, after asking where she should go, she winds up going to the Island of Skye to stay with a lady named Morag.

As I read the book and found this poor woman(Lillian) going through a culture shock like no other, I began to think that sometimes a complete change is not a bad thing.  I'm not sure that at my age I could take such a shock as Lillian did, but the idea is very appealing.  I think the idea to do something you've never done before (but think you would like to do) can be more then a dream if you make it so.

Life on the Island is way behind the times. There seems to be few phones...the closed one is down the road a bit.  The people are mostly "farmers" of one sort or another, raising sheep or cows.  On the island one tends to walk in as much dung as mud.  If it weren't for the odor one might never know which it is! At times the men are drunk and loud, but that too is part of life which has not caught up with the times.

Lillian Beckwith most certainly has a way with words.  Very colorful, descriptive words!  Many are chuckle-worthy but that is also due to the people (characters) that surround her in the book.  This was an enjoyable book to read. Maybe because of my ancient age.. a time that had no cable or cell phones or computers etc.  No matter what can be said, it really was a "simpler" time.  I am not saying that's for everyone... but it does make a good story to read.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Pat. Quite a nice book to start the new year with.

3:00 AM  
Blogger BooksPlease said...

I read and loved this one years and years ago! Sadly I no longer have my copy - I'll be checking out the library soon.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home