My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, November 30, 2019

The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton.

Hardcover: 496 pages
Publisher: Atria Books;(October 9, 2018)
ISBN-10: 1451649398



Amazon Review:

My real name, no one remembers.

The truth about that summer, no one else knows.


In the summer of 1862, a group of young artists led by the passionate and talented Edward Radcliffe descends upon Birchwood Manor on the banks of the Upper Thames. Their plan: to spend a secluded summer month in a haze of inspiration and creativity. But by the time their stay is over, one woman has been shot dead while another has disappeared; a priceless heirloom is missing; and Edward Radcliffe’s life is in ruins.

Over one hundred and fifty years later, Elodie Winslow, a young archivist in London, uncovers a leather satchel containing two seemingly unrelated items: a sepia photograph of an arresting-looking woman in Victorian clothing, and an artist’s sketchbook containing the drawing of a twin-gabled house on the bend of a river.

Why does Birchwood Manor feel so familiar to Elodie? And who is the beautiful woman in the photograph? Will she ever give up her secrets?

Told by multiple voices across time, The Clockmaker’s Daughter is a story of murder, mystery, and thievery, of art, love, and loss. And flowing through its pages like a river, is the voice of a woman who stands outside time, whose name has been forgotten by history, but who has watched it all unfold: Birdie Bell, the clockmaker’s daughter.

I have read all of Kate Morton's books.  This one is different from all others.  I admit I kept getting lost and then found again.. I am guessing that it is because it is told by many voices, and often I wouldn't notice ( got lost) for a bit until I could figure out what was going on.   Should you consider reading this book, I would say most wouldn't get lost like I do! So don't let that stop you if it sounds interesting to you.


The story unfolds slowly (and by different views and times). At 150 pgs I thought I might put it down...  then at 326 pages I thought I would put it down.  But for whatever reason I had to find out the ending  and so 496 pages later I felt sort of sad that it ended!  Go figure!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

These borderline 'shall I give up on it or not' books are a nuisance 'cos I'm so terrible at making up my mind I've finished the book before I've decided. LOL! Glad you ended up liking it, that's usually the way with me too. *Sisters!*

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home