My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Books



Well.. another book bites the dust.



I picked Here there be Dragons, from the new books that came from Amazon.com because I thought it was a stand alone book.



(Note: "I thought!"... and was wrong once again. sigh)



The author, James A Owen has a second book (the sequel? or will there be a third??) due out this coming January called, The Search for the Red Dragon (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, the)... so much for stand alone!



However, I will say this about book one, Here There Be Dragons, does come to a conclusion so that it could be a stand alone book... one need not read farther to enjoy this book.



Three Oxford men, become companions on a voyage through the Archipelago of Dreams .. and there begins the Story (stories?) containing Legends, Myths, and Fantasies.. which pop up all through the entire book.



Travel with these men, aboard the Indigo Dragon, through the Archipelago of Dreams and encounter many heard of, Legends and Myth's (good and bad) along the way. You will find yourself trying to guess "who's who" before you actually find out.



I quite enjoyed reading this book, although I will say the building of the 3 main characters was not the best. (I believe he was trying to protect the identity of these men for the end of the book) But still, this book was a fun read, and I'm happy to find out another such book will be out in January.






Reading level: Young Adult ... It actually said.. from 8th grade and UP.



(I'm about as "up" as it gets and I enjoyed it)



Hardcover: 336 pages
Publishing (September 26, 2006)
ISBN-10: 1416912274



At the end of the book there is a page of Author's Notes... and I quote:



"Suppose the worlds of make-believe had a basis in reality. Suppose that we could, in the right circumstances, visit them. And suppose that the proof of their substance was strewn throughout both history and fiction, if only we knew where to look...... "



.... 'till next time...

************************************
Ah... well.. make that 2 books bite the dust! I started this post on Saturday, planning to put it up on Sunday, which I didn't.... now, it's Monday and last night I finished reading Fablehaven by: Brandon Mull.


I have to say, that the young adult books I've been reading have really all been very good. I am beginning to think the authors of these books are better then most!

Fablehaven was a fun read. Kendra and Seth (sister and brother) get dropped off at Grandpa Sorenson's home while their parents go on a cruise. Their expectations of a "fun time" are at an all time low... but what happens there is surely a visit to remember!
It's a fast and enjoyable read ... and I hope that anyone who's already read the book found the "secret message" at the back of the book! Drink the Milk!














Hardcover: 368 pages

ISBN-10: 1590385810


Today I will begin to read the second in the series (the third due out next year)... Fablehaven: Rise of The Evening Star

9 Comments:

Blogger Kiyotoe said...

i bet i looked like that in another life. All big and bad and Black. Scary and strong looking......

that's me.....

yes?

12:16 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I bought the Here Be Dragons book when it first came out simply because the book itself is so lovely. I'm glad to hear that it was enjoyable. Will hopefully get to it soon.

12:33 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

As I have said before, I am not a fan of Fantasy and Myth...I'm not proud of it, but it is just the way it is...But you make both these books sound so interesting and fun, that it sounds like even I might enjoy them...

12:37 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kiyotoe: I'm sure that's you! lol

Carl: it was an interesting view on imagination and i'm looking forward to the next book.

Naomi: It wouldn't be interesting if we were all like, and all liked the same thing! Diversity is great!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend lost in your books, Deslily. There's nothing better. :)

3:11 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Yay! Glad you liked Fablehaven. I haven't met anyone else who's read that one yet. Don't know why...I loved it! The second one's even better.

10:28 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Lee: yes, I do enjoy when I get time to read more then one chapter at a time! lol

Chris: I thought Fablehaven had some unique ideas! loved the: drink the milk! haha.. some new approaches which is good. I'm now enjoying the second book!

8:23 AM  
Blogger SQT said...

I liked Fablehaven, but didn't love it. I thought the ending with the demon etc. was way too neat; too easy.

I'm in the middle of Magyk by Angie Sage right now and I like it better. I think the character development is better. But I'll have to hold off on the final declaration until I finish it.

2:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard the sequel to HERE, THERE BE DRAGONS is supposed to be better...

At least, I think the characterizations are stronger!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home