My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Masterharper of Pern

The Masterharper of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Del Rey; (November 28, 1998)
ISBN-10: 0345424603



Although this book is set just prior to Dragonflight, It is best read after the first Trilogy.
This book tells of Masterharper Robinton's details the life, right from his birth.
It traces his loves, and his heartbreaks. The book lets you follow him through a childhood filled with rejection and neglect by his Mastercomposer father, Peitron, the overwhelming love of his Mastersinger mother, Merelan ,the loss of his wife, and the death of his best friend, while on his way to his becoming the Masterharper of Pern.
This book, as her other books is done extremely well. It doesn't take huge jumps through his life, but rather small ones, so you don't miss anything about how and why he turns into the beloved Masterharper. It begins with his birth and ends where Dragonflight begins! You get to learn more about the holds and of course, HarperHall.
I don't know how, Pern, the people of Pern, and the dragons of Pern all fit into one womans head in order for her to write these books.. but somehow it was all there. And I am more than grateful that she wrote it all down to share with me and the world! If you read the first trilogy this book is a must to read along with it! (and the Harper Hall trilogy). And... well never mind ...
The Pern series of books will forever be my all time favorite books! There are a few other series I feel as strongly about, but... this group inches them out as the best!
Yes, there are yet more Pern books, but for now I think I will cease my rereads and move on to something new... before my second round of rereads, heh!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite Pern novels, I /adore/ Robinton!

1:54 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nicole: You have excellent taste in men! lol

2:00 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I am so glad that you are revisiting this favorite of yours. Eventhough I have not read any of them I can certainly join you in spirit knowing how fun it is to revisit old friends like this. You make me excited for future rereads of my own.

12:49 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: yep, you need to revisit your old friends!!! nothing like reading a book that you have NO DOUBT you will enjoy! There are reasons your favorites ARE your favorites...and they bring back all the wonderful feeling that made them your favorites! Not a bad way to enjoy yourself!

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home