My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Mail and Movies



The three standing books, The Search for the Red Dragon, Dragon Harper and Dragonhaven are what I bought with my gift certificate from my son and daughter in law! Not a cent was spent by me!! (ahhhh)
The book on it's side, The Masterharper of Pern, I did buy. It's a used book and only cost 2.98! I love all the Pern books and slowly but surely I am getting most of them in hardback. This one is in fine condition for the price. I will never be able to afford the original 3 books in hardback. IF you can even find someone selling them, they are in the hundreds of dollars.
I plan to reread the first 6 Pern books (Dragonflight/ Dragonquest/ the White Dragon) and the 3 small following books (Dragonsong/ Dragonsinger/ Dragondrums) very soon and so this addition makes me feel good. I may even have to toss this one in with the 6 others, heh. Masterharper Robinton, (the main character of The Dragon Harper of Pern) is one of those characters I fell in love with and have never forgotten.
I read these books for the first time so many years ago I can't even remember. My first copies of them, which were in paperback, have turned brown and brittle.. that might give you a hint of how long ago I first read them. I replaced the original paperbacks with a one book (hardback), long long ago, put out by Doubleday. This too is beginning to deteriorate, but not yet brown! So.. now they only sell them in TPB, at good prices though. Something like 12.89 for a single book with the first 3 stories and 5.98 and 2.98 for the other three.
I hate to have to replace them again with paperbacks, even though they are at least TPB size. These books are SOOOOOOOO WORTHY of republishing in hardback, the way they did for Dragonlance. Ah well.. fersure, 3rd time in tpb will not be the charm, but one must do what one must do for those absolute favorite books!
Along with the reread of the 6 Pern books, I hope to reread a few other old series. Among them will be the first 6 Dragonlance books. by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman,the original 3 Sword of Shannara books by Terry Brooks, and hopefully the 6 Thomas Covenant books by Stephen R Donaldson, and the 5 Belgaraid books by David Eddings.
When I look at my TBR pile, I wonder if this is possible!
I do know that it's time for me to revisit them, of this I have no doubt. Wish me luck!
On a side note I watched the Stardust dvd (that i bought for my brother) on Saturday!



When it began. and even the first half hour or so I found myself wondering if anyone who hadn't read the book could follow it. Of course I had no problem since I did read the book. Overall I enjoyed the movie, like most movies from books, they left out some details, but the main parts were there and played by some very fine actors and actresses. I enjoyed the movie.. I do have to admit that I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when the witches boobs "drooped" LOL.. even thinking about it now makes me laugh lol..
It was a good Saturday. Books and a good movie, can't ask for much more than that!
ps: I wrote this post on Saturday for posting today... before the day was over I finished reading Touchtone by Laurie R King which I'll post about tomorrow, then the series Dinotopia came on the sci-fi channel, in it's entirety (4 hrs) and I watched the whole thing!! It's not the first time I've seen it. Anyone else see it? I thought they did it pretty good for a television series, which it was originally.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

I can't believe I forgot Robin McKinley had a new book out. I have to add that to the list... I plan to finally read Anne McCaffrey this year. I had planned on last year, but it didn't happen. This year it will. It's just so many books, and I have so many others to read, so I sometimes think I read too many series and will never finish any of them.

1:46 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kailana: Although McCaffrey has many books out, it's possible to read just the first 3, Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and the White Dragon. This is the main body of Pern and one need not read more.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh, Annie and I loved Dinotopia! Just your mention of it really, really, really makes me want to see it again!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I just love it when stuff comes in the mail (whether I paid for it or not)!!!

3:17 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: you and annie both have good taste in books and movies! .. they sell the tv version on dvd.. just fyi..

Lady: yeah me too! But I'm not thrilled when the bill arrives, heh.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Oh, will you look at those gorgeous covers! I adored The Masterharper of Pern, Robinton is one of my favourite ever book characters. I reread the first three and the Harperhall series year before last. Then read on to All the Weyrs of Pern which I've yet to read. Must get to that and carry on with the series. I'm waaaay behind.

I've only read one book by Robin McKinley which is Sunshine. I absolutely love that and hope she'll write a sequel one day.

Good luck with your rereading plans for next year!

6:16 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I've liked other of her Pern books but none really came up to the first 3 and the small Harper trilogy. I think it's because we get so attached to the characters for the first trilogy. I know I did!

7:48 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I don't know that book or the movie....I'll have to check it out on Netfliz!

Just stopping by to say a VERY VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU, PAT...I HOPE @008 WILL BE A REALLY FINE YEAR FOR YOU AND YOURS!

1:10 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: thank you! Hope you can feel this Happy New Year *hug*!

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home