My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, October 17, 2008

Did You Hear The One About...

Sometimes things you hear on Oprah can really give you those "light bulb moments", as Oprah likes to say.

The other day they were discussing "rudeness".

The topic of Cell Phones came up, about how people misuse and abuse them... I smiled.... a lot. I hate cell phones except for emergencies.

Then a woman in the audience stood up and talked about a "rude use of the cell phone" that happened to her.

It seems she had a doctor's appointment.  She kept her appointment and when she got into the room was told to undress from the waist down and lay down and put her feet in the stirrups.  I know women reading this have all done it .. and you men know what woman go thru during exams.

She got in the stirrups and the doctors cell phone rang...

He answered it!  (It was his private number and so was not an emergency.)

Then he proceeded to talk on the phone for several minutes, leaving the lady laying there with her feet in the stirrups.

The audience was appalled.  I was appalled.  You should be appalled.

I don't understand why people don't realize how they abuse the privilege of owning a cell phone.  

Why do you answer the cell phone while in a bathroom??

Why do you answer the cell phone while driving?

Why do you answer the cell phone in the middle of conversing with someone face to face??

Is it true that no one has learned that you can TURN OFF THE PHONE when you are busy doing other things, like driving , or taking care of other business.  If there's an emergency.. trust me.. THEY WILL CALL BACK!  (and odds are there's not a damn thing you can do about the emergency anyway)... and.. they have the capability of leaving an message if it's important don't they?!!  (hello?)

ok.. that's it .. I know I didn't need to get on the soap box and I wouldn't have if I didn't hear that story on Oprah. 

.. Think about it.. you could use some quiet time!

10 Comments:

Blogger Sage Ravenwood said...

One of the advantages of being deaf, I don't have to deal with cell phones. Paul and I have both stated how rude it was seeing a couple on a date and one or the other answers their phone and keeps the date waiting. You have to ask yourself how did we survive pre-cell phone...we used to be able to grocery shop, drive, go the bathroom, take in a ball game with no phone. I think this generation has become far too dependent on them. As for the dr. I would of reported him for unethnical service to the board. That was above and beyond rude. (Hugs)Indigo

8:34 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Amen!
P.S. I've never even owned a cell phone. Yeah, I'm a dinosaur.

8:57 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Indigo: I totally agree! But when you say that outloud to someone who owns a cell phone they respond like life would end without it.. it's an addiction.. and not a good one! I really am amazed at the places they are allowed to use them.. I sure wouldn't allow them at school or at work. They'd be in a locker only to be used during a break/ lunch etc. and that includes doctors. If it were up to me they'd inforce the law and all phones would have to be "off" when driving!

I've never owned one either Debi. I've been forced to ask to use someones a time or two but that was because pay phones are hard to find anymore!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

I agree Pat. There are times when a person should stay off a cell phone. If I am driving I pull off the road and call the person back.
Thanks for the comments you made to Ken in my absence. Hugs, Helen

10:07 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Helen: yes, they are totally abused in the name of "oh i can get more work done", "I can't miss an important call"...sorry, I never plan to be "on call" 24/ 7.. for that they have message machines!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Slapinions said...

Nope, gotta disagree here. Don't use it in church, in a theater, or someplace where general conversation is forbidden. Other than that, all bets are off.

Dan

3:55 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

tsk tsk, I am disappointed in you Slapinions! There was a time when if a man took his wife/ or date on a date it meant they wanted some "alone time", even in public places.. for someone to answer a phone while talking with your wife/ date is down right rude! It's also rude for people to make calls to someone at times they wouldn't normally just because they have a phone in their pocket and don't have to go home first to make the call! *sigh*..I do think they are a great invention, and very useful, I just think they are abused and should be used no more than you would a phone in your home, unless it's an emergency.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

AMEN! I am so ready to get rid of my cell phone ... except that the younger generation of children has no clue how to get on in the world without being connected at the ear to mom & pop ... so we are somewhat 'forced' into keeping them. I don't even like to hear mine ring so unless I am expecting a call from my youngest, I turn the volume off.

voice mail works well. My home phone works even better. :)

6:22 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathy: i know it sounds totally old fashioned to say "gee, we lived without them and managed ok".. the scary part is that they are an addiciton to both young and old... everyone has to learn to turn them off when they don't need them... "incoming calls can go to voice mail" they only need to be "on" when the owner makes a call.

6:30 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Why in the world would a person allow a doctor to treat them so shabbily? Good grief. I would've excused him, gotten dressed, and left never to return...

But my sister talks to me when she's in the bathroom all the time! I can't even imagine doing something like that!

cjh

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home