My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Inkheart: the Movie!

Inkheart.....

Brendan Fraser ...  Mo 'Silvertongue' Folchart
Eliza Bennett ...  Meggie Folchart 
Paul Bettany ...  Dustfinger
Helen Mirren ...  Elinor Loredan
Andy Serkis ...  Capricorn

It's not often I get to the theater to see a new movie, but occasionally the impossible happens.  (of course it helps that I've been waiting nearly a year and a half for this movie to be release!)

Yessssss!  Finally !  Inkheart the movie!!

 

Most people know, that the movie seldom is "better than" the book.  And I don't go see a movie with the hopes that it will be better.  After all, I must have really liked the book to even want to see the movie version!

But I do go for a number of other reasons. 

For one, I find it interesting to compare my visions to those of the movie makers.  For another I like to see how they see the characters, the personality they have given them.  And yet another reason should come as no big surprise to anyone who remotely knows me.. it will generally contain actors that I admire, and this movie is no exception.  I very much admire Andy Serkis, I have enjoyed other movies with Brendan Fraser and Helen Mirren, so.. I like the movie even before I step foot into the theater!

 

Ok, now..here's what I thought about it...

The best first:  I am really sorry they waited so long to release the movie because I would love to see the other two books made into movies and now the young girl Eliza is two years older and the books run in succession without years between them.

Brendan Fraser was really good in this movie!  And there is probably a reason for that... in an interview Cornelia Funke who wrote the books states that the character of Mo was fashioned for Brendan!

Paul Bettany never looked so sexy! lol and he was excellent as Dustfinger!...

And then there was Capricorn... Andy, Andy, Andy!  I wish there had been more of him!!  Such great memories of meeting him and talking to him about his part in this movie came flooding back to me.  Andy does "evil" quite well.... but I'd love to see him do stage!

Admittedly the script writers did quite a bit of "creative license" and changed things around, but not so much that you couldn't follow the story or that it changed the outcome in any way.

I think Helen Mirren's part as Elinor was shortened from the book, but she still did well in the part.

I was happy to see the theater had more people in it than I expected.  Quite a few new movies began this weekend and many are Oscar nominated and so I didn't expect many at the Inkheart movie.   The other surprise was that they were all adults at the movie!  Not a kid in site!  And yet Inkheart is a YA book !!   (love it!)

I don't know if they will go on to do the other two movies.. but I sure hope so! 

 

16 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

So glad you got to see it at last, Pat! As soon as Peter is better (and me too really) we're off to see it too. This sickness has been really bad timing as there are several things I really want to see. I just hope they don't take Inkheart off before we can get there! I didn't realise she wrote Mo with Brendan Fraser in mind. How neat is that?

6:37 AM  
Blogger ANovelMenagerie said...

Great Monday's Movie Review!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

As always, I am thrilled that you got out of the house to do something fun that you've been looking forward too!

These books are on my TBP (To be purchased) list. Several people have mentioned how good they are, but I have a backlog of TBRs LOL! I don't know if I'll see this at the theatre, but it is definitely the kind of movie that we pick up on DVD when it comes out. G is wanting to go to the movies this week, but he is interested in Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, so I'm sure that is what we will see if we get to go ;p

My word Verif was: squadder ::giggle::

8:43 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! When I go see a movie adaptation of a book I love I always tell myself to "let go" of the book...I don't always manage, but I agree that it's best to just enjoy the movie for what it is.

11:51 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

JJ: just saw my first preview to Underworld and you will probably like that movie, so I hope you see it.

Nymeth: I saw many changes but for some reason I kept "knowing" it was so they could fit the book in a short movie, so took them all with a grain of salt.. the only character that I didn't think "fit the bill" was Basta.. i didn't feel he was evil enough looking or personality. but again his part was shortened a lot so that could be it too

12:24 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

So glad you got to see it in the theater Pat!!! I really want to see it too, but I just have to read the book first. I even turn my head away and cover my ears everytime an ad for it comes on tv :p

2:45 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: david had no problem following the movie and he hasn't and won't read the books.. just an fyi.. and the books are better.. so, you can know you will get "more" if you see the movie.. lots of small stuff they leave out for the sake of getting the movie told in a short amount of time.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little nervous to see it - because just watching the previews, makes me think they really switched the story line around a bit. I"m glad it finally was released and you go to see it!!!

3:48 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I'm so glad you got to see it! And that you enjoyed it!!! I definitely did, too. And I agree with what you told Nymeth--I didn't think Basta quite had the same "evilness" in the movie that he did in the book. I really wish we'd have seen more of Elinor--I adore her!

5:32 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

karmyn: if it would bother you that they changed things around, don't see it lol.. the story line is there.. the characters are there..but it seemed to me they didn't get as much "time" as they do in the book.

Debi: I am haveing a brain fart and don't remember if you read the books or not!.. if you did, then you know Elinor is in the book more than the movie... and i loved her in the book !!! lol.. I'm not sure she was well casted either, but not sure who i would choose to be Elinor... now Flatnose was well casted and makeup LOL LOL

5:38 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I like ALL tgose people....I will have to wait for the DVD....But it sounds quite wonderful!
I'm happy for you that you actually got out to a theatre to see this.....It's one of the many many things I miss about being confined.....!

2:31 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I just can't get George of the jungle out of mind when I see Brendon Fraser

2:40 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: I will buy the dvd when it comes out so I will watch it (again) when you watch it!

Pamela: I think every actor has a movie they aren't thrilled that they made. And although I don't put Fraser in the same catagory as Connery or Harrison Ford, I do enjoy him.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I'd really like to see this while its still in theaters.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I was curious as to what you were going to think about the film. I am so glad that you were pleased with the result. The cast looked like an excellent one to me and I was hoping they would give them a good script to work with and stay at least somewhat close to the book for those who are attached to it. Very interesting that there were so many adults in your showing, but that seems that it would bode well for the movie making some money and perhaps causing them to look at making the other two, even if they had to change actresses. Great review, Deslily.

7:01 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: as the book did, the ending was left where you wanted to know more... I haven't heard a word about doing more movies but I wish they would because book two goes into the land of Inkheart.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home