My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

David Copperfield. Masterpiece Theater

David Copperfield (a BBC production of Masterpiece Theater 1999)

 When I had seen this dvd and saw that Daniel Radcliff played the young David Copperfield and that Maggie Smith was in it playing the Aunt Betsy Trotwood and even Ian McKellan has a small part I knew I had to have it, and so I bought it.

                

As I watched it the other day I realized that I had seen it on television long ago! (later I discovered that I had only seen the first half ) 

But it didn't matter because I totally enjoyed the dvd, which was 3 hrs long!

Daniel was wonderful as the young David Copperfield and Maggie Smith cracked me up as Aunt Betsy.  Peggotty and Mr. Dicks were grand characters and now I find I am looking forward to actually reading the book!

It's not that I haven't seen David Copperfield before, or didn't basically know the story, but I did enjoy the BBC production to the fullest.

It was 1935 when The Personal History, Adventures, Experience, & Observation of David Copperfield the Younger was released. Freddie Bartholomew played the young David, Edna Mae Oliver was Aunt Betsy. Lionel Barrymore , Elsa Lanchester, and Basil Rathbone, as well as W C Fields, were also in that version.  So, old or newer you get great actors in both versions!

          

Anyway, it sure looks like it was destiny for Daniel to work with Maggie Smith!  This was made two years before Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone.  Little did Maggie know when she made David Copperfield, that she would wind up having the opportunity to watch Daniel grow up by being in movies with him for so many years!

It was a good day to watch the dvd as it was cold and snowing outside. (it didn't snow much but it was constant for the entire afternoon.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I'd like to watch this one. So many great actors!

8:49 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Tink.. yeah there sure are! Both copies are loaded!!

11:32 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

DesLily -

I saw Daniel on Inside The Actor's Studio not long ago and he talked about this. I guess I didn't make the connection between him and Maggie in this movie. It does sound wonderful

cjh

5:38 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: Ohhh I saw him on Actors Studio too! I don't catch that show as often as I like but I did see him and remember thinking how old he's gotten since the first Harry POtter. I might not have gotten this BBC one though except I love Maggie Smith an I do enjoy Daniel and even Ian had a small part. (nasty but he was there lol)and I've always enjoyed Hoskins

5:41 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I've had this dvd on my 'must get' list for over a year now. I really must grab it sometime as it's not even that expensive as far as I know. Doesn't little Dan Radcliffe look cute on the cover? lol.

6:23 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: Danielle is a natural even at that age! It's not the cheerest movie lol.. but all those who keep saying Dickens always had interesting characters is right about that!

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home