My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

A.C. and Me..

(web photo)

This is a dear, dear man that I was privileged to meet on several occasions and speak with on the phone as well.  His name.. is A.C. Lyles, and he has a birthday coming up this Sunday May 17th.  His Birth year was 1918.

I met A.C. at a Creation Convention.  They were honoring my friend DeForest Kelley and the person they got to be M.C. for this special event was DeForest's good friend A.C. Lyles.  (many years later it would be A.C. who honored DeForest at Paramount when De passed away)

My first view of him was on stage making jokes about De.  Right away he made me laugh.. and made De laugh too.  After the show was over and I was mulling around the convention I saw A.C. talking to some people and decided to go and introduce myself.  I mean.. really.. I didn't know this man was important, past the fact that he was a good friend of De's.

Boy was I wrong!

This man has worked for Paramount Studios for over 50 years!  He began very lowly and worked his way up until he was a producer to B Westerns.  It was during his Western time that he met DeForest and put him to work in many of his westerns as one of the bad guys.

(over the years De died so many times in those westerns, that when he took the part in Star Trek he figured they hired him because he was going to die off in that too!)

(leave it to me to go on the Paramount lots looking like an idiot.  I often did things like that to make De and Carolyn laugh but not too often going on a movie lot like that!.. but A.C. was worth it!)

Once you meet A.C. Lyles you never forget him.  He is the consummate gentleman, always dressed to the 9's in suit and tie.   But the very best part of A.C. Lyles is that when you are with him, you become the most important person there is to him... bar none.  He's incredible.  I was in his office one time and Buddy Ebsen called him.. he talked to him very briefly and then told him that he had some beautiful woman in his office with him and he'd call him back later. 

Hello?

He shrugged off Buddy Ebsen?!! 

But that's how important you became when you had his attention.  He shared you with no one.

I have to say I've heard the same thing told by many people who have met A.C. he has this way about him of making anyone feel very special. 

I've lost touch with A.C. over the years when I left California and began taking care of my brother.  But he's never left my heart or my mind, and so when I ran across a blog called Dear Old Hollywood with a post all about A.C. and then an old Radio show with the complete interview of A.C., well.. the memories came flooding back.

(If you click the Radio Show link know this: it takes a bit to load, but it's well worth the wait to hear the sort of long interview)

Everything made me a bit melancholy and so I wrote A.C. a Birthday note and mailed it to him, just so he knows he's far from forgotten.

He's an absolutely fascinating man and I am so upset he's never written a book.. this man knows or knew every star there was!  Trust me on this one and if you want to hear about a few of them listen to that radio show!!  On the show he speaks of his very dear friend James Cagney and how he helped A.C. get started as a producer.

If you have an interest in Hollywood.. this is a man you should read about.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's always something so thoroughly beautiful about your posts, Pat...

To be honest, this is the first time I've heard of A.C. Lyles, but he sounds like an absolutely amazing person and that you'll have a chance to rekindle that friendship with him.

*hugs* I'm... not entirely sure what to say, except that I wanted to say those things. And happy birthday come Sunday, Mr. Lyles!

1:39 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

libritouches: if you click the link with his name you will see a list of movies that he produced. Most were what they called B Westerns and many show up on television now and again. AC, is still at Paramount! He became someone who could get any star he wanted if he needed them for a charity or fund raiser or whatever the studio wanted... he's a fascinating man to say the least!

2:15 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I have never met A.V. Lyles, but I have known aboiy him for years and years. It isw no wonder he has had such a Fantastic career--someone who knows how to make the other person feel they are the ONLY one that is important at that time---THAT is a Great Great Gift!
Bless him, turning 91...!
You were talking about my memory...Yours isw pretty damn good Pat...lol! And pictures help bring back some forgotten things, don't you think?

4:25 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

My finger slipped.."A.C."...Sorry about that....OY!

4:26 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Naomi: oh yes photo's help! I just don't have many from when I was "young".. AC is a great man to everyone. that's what i love about him.. you didn't have to "be someone" to count with AC. and yet some of his best friends were James Cagney and Ronald Regan.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I would have said put Buddy on speaker phone lol! I would have loved to have talked to that amazing man or this one for that matter! I don't believe I've seen any of the films he produced but I have heard of a couple. Great post.

6:12 PM  
Blogger MilkyWayfarer said...

Hi Pat! I just wanted to say how interesting your blog posts are, with all the notable people you've met. I also enjoy your exquisite photos! I'm really sorry you'll have to leave some of your adorable kitties but am glad you've found homes for most. Here's hoping the other 2 will be adopted quickly. [crossed fingers] I feel for you having to leave your house and move to sr. apts. but I hope (& believe) it will be better than you expect. If you have a library nearby, you may find it will offer activities you enjoy and that may offer you a chance to meet other people. Fortunately, you'll always have your online friends. Also, libraries offer the chance to read many books (& rent movies, etc.) for free. Just try to be good to yourself & take care of yourself. Stress kills. I truly believe that. As a cancer survivor & chemo brain sufferer, I've learned how important it is to try not to worry about things that may never happen or things you cannot change. I've never met you but feel I "know" you in a sense. I hope you'll be happy in your new surroundings. You're such a creative person, I believe you'll figure out ways to work around the problems caused by this big change. I truly hope so. Like all your other readers, I'm rooting for you. Take care!
~MilkyWayfarer~ (Susan)
http://MilkyWayfarer.wordpress.com

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

Awesome. I love all of the "Star Trek" connections you have ! Also turning 91 this week is Joseph Wiseman. He was "Dr. No" in "Dr. No" !!!

2:22 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Tink: no kidding! I love buddy ebsen.. that was the closest I ever got to meeting him lol.

Hello Susan, and thank you for your kind words. I can only hope you are right,but I am still having much depression over everything.. guess it's going to take longer than I thought .

Hi Daniel.. I never would have met AC except for that convention! I went on Paramount lots a number of times to visit AC and (as they say in California, ) "do lunch" and to visit a girlfriend who worked there as Patrick Stewarts personal assistant..yeah, even more Trek connections. But they weren't really.. she is a friend and AC certainly stood on his own! lol

6:34 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

another interesting connection you have... I always love these stories.

I was thinking about your cats, and was going to mention that the retirement center where my great aunt lives, allows cats! Too bad you didn't have more time to find one that was more friendly to your lifestyle.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home