My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, May 01, 2009

Month's End..

It's time for a wrap up of April's reading.

It seems that since my life fell apart my reading has taken a dive.  I've read only 4 1/2 books in April, bringing my total for the year to a whopping 21.  (the half book is Dandelion Fire. I listed it last month but was only 1/2 way thru it)

I am guessing, for me, this is the year of the tortoise ... slow and steady.

 

I have to say, the books read in April were all good ones! 

Carolyn Turgeon's Godmother was very good and was unusual in that the lead character was old, and I felt she really did her homework in knowing how older people feel about things as she wrote.

Wings was a YA book that was quite enjoyable.  It was a coming of age and coping with who and what you are.

Thirteenth Child was a bit of the same with tormenters thrown in.  It is the beginning of what I hope is a very interesting trilogy by an author I've enjoyed before.

Lastly is Graceling.  In the beginning I wasn't sure, but it did capture me and I wound up wishing it didn't end!  Meaning:  I want more of the characters and world that Kristin Cashore wrote of!!

It may have not been a great month for quantity but it sure was for quality! 

I hope your month of reading was as enjoyable as mine!  Now I am off to read a few more chapters in my ARC copy of the Laurie R King book, The Language of Bees!

16 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Hey, slow and steady isn't a bad way to go! And you're absolute right--quality counts a hell of lot more than quantity!

7:17 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: I also have a lot on my mind trying to figure things out so not as much in the mood to read.. it's good though.. now I can't be buying books like I did before to read slower..they last longer!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I can't decide what I think about Godmother. I finished it last night and I just can't seem to make up my mind!

You did read some great books this month!

2:26 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: well for one thing she really hit how old people feel and think... i'm not sure young people can grasp that

2:34 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I've ALWAYS felt that quality is more important than quantity...about everything really. I really want to read The THirteenth Child and Graceling after your reviews! I suspect a point or two may be coming your way soon ;)

3:15 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris:it's not just quality, I think my inner self knows I can't continue spending so I HAVE to slow down... it's ok long as I can still get some books to finish the series...:o)

3:18 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Like Chris and Debi said, quality is more important than quantity and it sounds like you've had a very good reading month, quality-wise. That said, I can't help but count books read too, though I really wish I could stop doing it. For the record I'm behind you - on books 19 and 20 (reading two at once at the,moment) so don't despair!

Great to speak to you on the phone earlier, Pat... and yeah... I'm still up. heheheh.

6:29 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: well i know the depression keeps me from really being "carried away" with my reading but I'm glad for what I do get read!..
It was great talking with you too! Peter is a sweetie for looking at those flights..:o)

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

I'm hoping to catch up on my reading in May. I have fallen so behind. Lookin' to sink my teeth into Peter Benchley's "Jaws" !!!

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quantity is overrated! I'd rather read four books I love in a month than 10 I hate. I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed your books so!

9:28 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Daniel: Ohhh keep an eye on the artwork of the shark on the cover! My friend Roger Kastel painted that picture!!!!

libritouches: i agree.. and there are too many graphic novels being counted as "books"! (they are books and fun to read but they aren't a 400 page book , all words!)

3:31 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Completely understandable that you aren't reading as much but I'm glad that the ones you've read are all good ones!

4:02 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I think the amount of books tou read is amazing....I haven't really been reading all that much....I am skimming around "THE FIXERS" which is about the two men at MGM during the 'hay day', who cleaned up ALL the scandels....It is Very Very dishy and not sure how much is actual "fact". the other book is about Marlon Brando...called "BRAMDO UNZIPPED"....it is really trashy and this one is even harder to know if any of it is true....A good friend who knew him really really well said it was kind of fun to read but pretty exagerated....! I skip around in that one, too....(lol)

8:27 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Tink: I am ok with the slower reading... i need to read slow to grasp it right now...and considering how many years I went with very little reading.. i'm ok.

Hi Naomi: I still have some biographies and autobiographies arund to get to.. Have one on jack nicholson and tony curtis(got to meet him!) and one on clara bow and a book on "star making" I think that's how the studios "made their actors "stars".. but they are packed away until I move for now..

6:41 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Isn't stress strange? I turn to books to read when I'm stressed, to the point that I stop talking to anyone around me. It's a sign htat I'm recovering (or it's the weekend) that I'm on here commenting again! lol so - it doesn't matter how many books you read, just that you are reading, and are enjoying what you read. ONe year when the youngest was a baby I read less than 30 books. I'm not proud of that, but both youngest were under 3 years of age, so I was proud I managed to read anything that year!!

My thoughts are all that you get to where you are going and it's good there for you.

7:11 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Susan: well stress and depression are two different birds (I have both) the depression takes away a lot of concentration and understanding.. things seems to just go by and you aren't even sure what you missed.
as for where I am going and good for me.. . well, hopefully it won't have drive by shootings..but I don't even like florida! and going to a senior apts because I need some way to get to food shopping and doctors is depressing.. the odds of no one but elderly around you means you will see more death... i intend to be a bit of a hermit. so I am not looking forward to florida.. and "financially" it is the beginning of the end for me.. so not looking forward to the "future" either... I just hope to heck my computer doesn't die! It's my only "toy" that gives me any sort of enjoyment anymore!

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home