My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

It was a Good Day for Astronauts

 

bksign3[1]

they had a great display of books for Astronaut Al Worden…

bksign4[1]

bksign5[1]

As you might have guess I went to a book signing.  The person signing was one of the astronauts who raced for the moon, Al Worden.

Around the other side of the book store I found seats set up for people who were coming for the signing…  The seats got filled and there was standing room only.  That made me feel really good to have a good showing for such a small town as Vero Beach.  I was most glad to see that our Original Astronauts from Mercury/ Gemini and Apollo are not forgotten.

bksign2[1]

Mr Worden remarked that he flew to the moon 40 years ago when he was a young lad of 40.  I thought he looked rather well for a man of 80 and he had plenty of spirit left in him too!

bksign7[1]

bksign8[1]

bksign10[1]

I noticed a small pin on his jacket and zoomed in…. this is what i learned about it..

The object in the image which is depicted heading for the moon from the Earth is an astronaut pin. Astronauts were given a silver version of this pin when they were accepted into the astronaut corps; and were given a gold version of the pin after their first space flight.

bksign6[1]

Astronaut Worden talked for about an hour and then opened for questions before sitting down to autograph books…

 bksign9[1]

bksign0[1]

bksign11[1]

***********************************************************************************

When the book signing was over I came and had a package waiting for me. I was expecting it but wasn’t sure if it would come today or Monday… inside the box was an absolutely fabulous gift from my girlfriend Michelle…  it’s a 11x14 photo of a painting by Astronaut Alan Bean!

beanpainting395[1]

…ahhhyup… autographed!

beanpaintingsig[1]

(the flip side of the picture… note the small photo of Alan Bean in his spacesuit?.. well I met Alan Bean once and guess what photo I had  him sign!?)

beanpaintingback[1]

Oh yeah!  Now I have TWO Alan Bean signatures!   And I couldn’t be more thrilled…

ok.. well maybe I can be… that will be after I get the Alan Bean “painting” matted and framed and hung on my wall !!!   I can’t wait!

beanpaintphoto1[1]

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Glad you enjoyed the signing and got another surprise to enjoy too!

9:15 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

How thrilling, Pat...The whole day---the talk, the signing and your wonderful painting...!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

What a great thing to go to, sounds like you had a good time. And then a painting when you got home. No wonder you're happy. :-D

4:14 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: for the most part each astronaut did much the same, but with each one I learn at least one thing I didn't know.

Naomi..I know I don't have the money to do the picture of the painting justice but somehow it will get matted and framed and hung!

Cath: I will enjoy seeing the picture hanging up!

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just posted a link to your Al Worden event blog on the "Falling To Earth" Facebook page, as we enjoyed your event description and wanted to share it - thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/fallingtoearth

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home