My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, January 20, 2012

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows

I Am Half Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley.

Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Delacorte Press (November 1, 2011)
ISBN-10: 0385344015

half[1]

Book Description

Series: Flavia De Luce | Publication Date: November 1, 2011

It’s Christmastime, and the precocious Flavia de Luce—an eleven-year-old sleuth with a passion for chemistry and a penchant for crime-solving—is tucked away in her laboratory, whipping up a concoction to ensnare Saint Nick. But she is soon distracted when a film crew arrives at Buckshaw, the de Luces’ decaying English estate, to shoot a movie starring the famed Phyllis Wyvern. Amid a raging blizzard, the entire village of Bishop’s Lacey gathers at Buckshaw to watch Wyvern perform, yet nobody is prepared for the evening’s shocking conclusion: a body found, past midnight, strangled to death with a length of film. But who among the assembled guests would stage such a chilling scene? As the storm worsens and the list of suspects grows, Flavia must use every ounce of sly wit at her disposal to ferret out a killer hidden in plain sight.

Well, it seems that the “mini Jessica Fletcher” (Murder She Wrote) is at it again.  This time though she is alternating her mystery murder with a true experiment to capture Father Christmas to be sure he’s real.

Daddy dearest is renting out the house to a movie crew to make a movie so that it will give them enough money to keep living in the house for several months.  Little did they know it would wind up a murder instead of a movie!

The dear inspector keeps a close eye on Flavia , knowing by now that she will somehow incorporate herself into solving the mystery of who murdered the movie star.?

Alan Bradley has come up with a dilly of a kid who loves chemistry and murder.  I can’t say I know any 11 yr olds that would love either of those things!  My wonder now is, how many murders can happen without Flavia having a birthday or two??   That is, if her sisters don’t torment her to death first.

This is another well written, enjoyable, escapade for Flavia and for us, her readers.  If you have read the other books you won’t want to miss this one… it deserves to be in the collection!

13 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I need to find this one in the library. Really pleased it another good one, Pat. Yeah... I keep wondering when she's going to have a birthday too. LOL.

7:13 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I've still only read the first in this series! I have the second…just have to actually GET to it! I'm ith you though…when's she gonna have a damn birthday?? LOL…by the way, love the cover of the book you're reading now!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I need to read the first one in this series! lol I should, the writer is Canadian.....and you enjoy this series to so much. I'm glad it's keeping up it's quality and enjoyment!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I think she needs a birthday too! I don't want her to change too much, too fast. But still she could change some :)

2:25 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: yeah ..there's just so many murders you could "believe" in one short year LOL

chris: they are light but still good mysteries and quick reads.. gives one a break from the 4 and 500 pagers.

Susan: ah yes you do need to read these lol..

becky: yes if she doesn't get older it would be like a murder a week ! lol

2:43 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I left your message on My Everyday Life.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Jodie Robson said...

My husband's just fallen for Flavia, so I can buy the print version of this :-)

12:55 PM  
Blogger snookey said...

i like that

5:41 PM  
Blogger Gavin said...

I really need to start reading this series!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I can't believe I still haven't even read the first of these! I just *know* I'm going to love them, so why haven't I started?!!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I am so behind. I bought this the day it came out but have been attracted to one book or the other since then and haven't gotten to it. And from everyone I keep hearing the same thing, a confirmation of my assumptions that I will love this one like I have the rest.

8:24 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I must say I am intrigued by this review...An 11 year old solving a murder....I may just have to get this book....!! And I guess that will lead me to all the rest of the Flavia books, too.....!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I still haven't enjoyed any of these Flavia books but they are on my list for the future. I'm glad you enjoyed them all so much!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home