Anne McCaffrey & Pern
If you are following Carl’s read-a-long of Dragonriders of Pern and find that you are liking it quite well I thought I would show a list from Wikipedia of the vastness of Anne’s writings about Dragonriders and Pern, along with a little information of her awards on the series… all of the links bring you back to Wikipedia (fyi). But before you read all about Pern I have to say that a great part of the original trilogy was brought to life by Michael Whelan with his most fabulous cover art. Click the link to see all the Pern related art that he did! Thank you Michael Whelan for helping to bring them to life for me!
Weyr Search won the inaugural Hugo Award for Best Novella in 1968 and Dragonrider won the Nebula Award for Best Novella in 1969. (Both were finalists for both awards.) Dragonquest, The White Dragon, Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern and All the Weyrs of Pern were among the five annual finalists for the best novel Hugo Award.
These stories take place immediately before and during the Ninth Pass, about 2500 years after landing (AL).
- Dragonflight 1968, by Anne McCaffrey (1968; composed in part of McCaffrey's first two Pern novellas, Weyr Search and Dragonrider, originally published in 1967)
- Dragonquest 1970, by Anne McCaffrey.
- The White Dragon 1978, by Anne McCaffrey (1978; although published prior to Dragondrums, The White Dragon continues the adventures of certain Dragondrums characters; McCaffrey recommends reading Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and Dragondrums before The White Dragon; The White Dragon incorporates McCaffrey's story "A Time When")
The trilogy was released 1978 in omnibus edition titled The Dragonriders of Pern by Nelson Doubleday Science Fiction Book Club.
Harper Hall trilogy
These stories take place immediately prior to and concurrently with those depicted in Dragonquest and The White Dragon.
- Dragonsong (1976), by Anne McCaffrey
- Dragonsinger (1977), by Anne McCaffrey
- Dragondrums (1979), by Anne McCaffrey
The Harper Hall trilogy was released 1984 in omnibus edition titled The Harper Hall of Pern by Nelson Doubleday Science Fiction Book Club. Dragonsong was subtitled "Volume One of The Harper Hall Trilogy" on the front cover of the Bantam Spectra edition, March 1986.
Other fiction by Anne McCaffrey
- Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern, by Anne McCaffrey (1983; both this and Nerilka's Story are set at the end of the Sixth Pass, centuries before the events in Dragonflight)
- Nerilka's Story, by Anne McCaffrey (1986)
- Dragonsdawn, by Anne McCaffrey (1988; first in chronological order, depicts the colonization of Pern, the First Fall of Thread, the creation of the dragons, and the colonists' move north.)
- "The Impression", by Jody Lynn Nye and Anne McCaffrey (1989; short story original to The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern)
- Renegades of Pern, by Anne McCaffrey (1989)
- All the Weyrs of Pern, by Anne McCaffrey (1991)
- The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall, by Anne McCaffrey (1993 collection of five stories, two original; set mostly after Dragonsdawn)
- The Dolphins of Pern, by Anne McCaffrey (1994)
- Red Star Rising, by Anne McCaffrey (1996) (titled Dragonseye for U.S. release; set at the beginning of the Second Pass)
- The Masterharper of Pern, by Anne McCaffrey (1998; prequel to Dragonflight and the other works of the Ninth Pass)
- The Skies of Pern, by Anne McCaffrey (2001)
- A Gift of Dragons, by Anne McCaffrey (2002 collection of four stories, one original)
- "The Smallest Dragonboy", by Anne McCaffrey (1973; short story previously collected in Get Off the Unicorn)
- "The Girl Who Heard Dragons", by Anne McCaffrey (1986 fine press book; cover story in The Girl Who Heard Dragons (1994))
- "Runner of Pern", by Anne McCaffrey (1998 novella original to Legends: Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy; set some time before the events of Dragonflight)
- "Ever the Twain" (original to the collection; historical setting unclear)
- "Beyond Between" (2003 short story in Legends II: Short Novels By the Masters of Modern Fantasy; set after the events of Moreta)