My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, June 02, 2013

Mystic Warrior

 

once7mainbanner300_zpsc7389616[1]

(Book 12 for Once Upon a Time)

Mystic Warrior by Tracy and Laurie Hickman.

Hardcover: 448 pages
Publisher: Aspect; (April 20, 2004)
ISBN-10: 0446531057

bk1_zps87aba5ea[1]

From Publishers Weekly

Three universes converge-faerie, goblin and human-in this impressive and provocative fantasy, the first of a new series from bestseller Tracy Hickman and [his] Dragonlance cocreator, Laura Hickman. Galen Arvad, a newly married blacksmith, struggles to discover the nature of a dream state connecting him with inhabitants of the faerie and goblin realms. Galen tries to hide this uncanny connection, but fails when he runs afoul of the Dragon Priests in Benyn Township, whose people equate magic with insanity. Galen's wife, Berkita, and his dwarf friend, Cephas, vow to rescue him. Meanwhile, Galen strives to understand how his fate intermingles with the destiny of a faerie Seeker who wishes to aid her war-torn people and a goblin toiling amid the vast mechanical machines left by Titans. This emotionally intense novel's meticulously crafted magical system and likable characters evoke an atmosphere both timely and timeless. While lively action sequences and rich descriptive passages provide plenty of excitement, mature examinations of politics and individual responsibility lend philosophical weight and emotional poignancy. Sure to hit many bestseller lists, this is a fine example of socially conscious and unpredictable imaginative fiction.

I thought I’d try a book by Tracy Hickman and his wife since I like Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis so much (Dragonlance). 

This is book one of a trilogy.. but I can’t say I’ve enjoyed it near as much as his writing with Dragonlance.  I sincerely hope that my love of Dragonlance prevented me from enjoying this book.

There just seemed to be too many characters in too many places with too many things going on to keep things straight in my mind.  Also because of so much going on I didn’t feel I got to know the characters as well as I like to.  My Fantasy reading tends to go  from good characters to a good story involving them.  But after reading the entire book I can’t say I have the feeling that I can’t wait to read book 2.  The very sad part is that I have all 3 books in hardback!  I will deliberate a day before deciding if I go on with this series or go on to something entirely new.

In my mind I figure that they all come together somehow but I still feel there are too many individual stories going on at once to really get into them all at once.  Ah well…  It wasn’t so bad I didn’t no finish the book.  I am sure others will like the books very much…. I just wish I did.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I'm finding as I get older that it's more and more difficult to keep huge lists of characters in my head in a book. More often now I have to stop and think, 'Who's that again...?' I find it upsetting to be honest.

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home