My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Reader’s A to Z Survey

 

I first spotted this meme on Cath’s blog who took it from Susan's blog (You Can never Have Too Many Books) here.

clip_image001

Author I've Read The Most Books From:
Well, that’s easy… it would be Anne McCaffrey! Her Pern books went on and on! (thank goodness!)


Best Sequel Ever:
Like my sis, Cath.. this question is hard due to trying to define the word “sequel”. I looked up the definition: a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one. So it is more or less asking for the best “series” ever. Well, Pern would win this one too.. but there have been other series that I just felt grew with each book that followed and I wanted them not to end! Harry Potter, of course.. The Dragonlance series… The Nicholas Flamel series… The Bartimaeus series….and The Belgariad series to name a few!


Currently Reading:
The Black House by Peter May.


Drink of Choice While Reading:
I rarely drink anything so I will just say my morning Café Vienna!


E-Reader or Physical Book:
I haven’t tried an E reader yet.. but I will!


Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Dated in High School:
ack! So this is asking who you’ve had a crush on… heh.. just how long do you have? I am very character driven so it’s easy to “fall in love” even when the stories are not love stories!! Let’s see now: There would be Masterharper Robinton, Gandalf, and Belgarath, and we could toss in Col. Brandon…. To name a few.


Glad You Gave This Book A Chance:
Drood!


Hidden Gem Book:
Stan and Ollie by Simon Louvish It is a biography I never expected to like so much.


Important Moment in Your Reading Life:
I don’t know how important a moment it was but without question I was shocked at my reaction to a book called Citizens of London by Lynne Olson. My only reason for even trying this book was the mention of a “familiar name” of Edward R Murrow. But honestly… this lead me to reading books on Eleanor Roosevelt and Franklin and other historical books …and I NEVER read historical book before!


Just Finished:
Dust and Shadows A Sherlock Holmes/ Dr Watson book of Sherlock searching for Jack the Ripper


Kind of Books I Won't Read:
I doubt I would read “horror”.. those with Vampires and such.


Longest Book I've Read:
Oh my.. I am not sure on that. I’ve read a number of books in the 7-800 pages (like Drood)..but if you consider the 2 volume books on Eleanor Roosevelt they would be a combination of about 1,300 pgs. (2 books one story)


Major Book Hangover Because:
My “sis” said it best: Too many books, not enough time!


Number of Bookcases I own:
Three actual bookcases but many “shelves” of my own making (like crates) The house books I want to keep and 142 books I have not read yet..


One Book I have Read Multiple Times:
Once again.. there’s not just one book. The Dragonriders of Pern would top the list. I’ve reread the Dragonlance series more than once, and The Sword of Shannara series… there are others.. but I will just say for a stand alone book I’ve read Drood twice now and The Thirteenth Tale 3 times.


Preferred Place to Read:
My Recliner in the living room.


Quote That Inspires You/Gives You All the Feels From a Book You've Read:
I am drawing a blank at the moment

Reading Regret:
That it took me so many years to become an avid reader.


Series You Started and Need To Finish (All the books are out in the series):
So far I am up to date on all my series.


Three of Your All-Time Favourite Books:
Dragonrider of Pern Trilogy, The Sword of Shannara Trilogy, Stan and Ollie


Unapologetic Fangirl For:
Anne McCaffrey's Pern books. Harry Potter. The Nicholas Flamel series.

Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others:
none at the moment

Worst Bookish Habit:
Having more books then I can possibly read and yet continuing to buy more!

X Marks The Spot: Start at the Top Left of Your Shelf and pick the 27th Book:
Bookcase one: Deke by Michael Cassutt.

Bookcase 2: Belgarath the Sorcerer by David Eddings

Bookcase 3: The Hustons by Lawrence Grobel

Bookcase 4: Maggie Smith: A Bright Particular Star by Michael Coveney.


Your Latest Book Purchase:


A Tribute to Anne McCaffrey and Pern :Dragonwriter edited by Todd McCaffrey


ZZZ-Snatcher Book- Book That Kept You Up WAY Too Late:

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

6 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Wow, you did this really quick!

I hope you're enjoying The Black House! It was one of my favourite books from last year. So much so that I have the next book and am afraid to read it in case I don't like it as much. LOL!

I could have gone for Robinton too. Tell the truth I didn't really understand the question. LOL

I have so got to get hold of Stan and Ollie.

That's another of *my* worst bookish habits too. I have lots...

Good answers, Pat, and I enjoyed reading them.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I enjoyed reading this too, Pat. Love how your biggest regret is not reading earlier, though its' also sad when I think of all the time I wasted not reading.

I also like how you would have dated Gandalf in high school! I always had a secret crush on Legolas (long before he had long blonde hair on Orlando Bloom). And Fili and Kili of course....I so can hardly wait for the next movie with them!

Very cool how one book has led you to read so many historical biographies now. I wish I could get into them more, I love the idea of them and buy them, but never get around to reading them through.

Glad you played along, this is a fun survey, isn't it?

9:41 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Susan & Pat: You know, I think having kids makes it really difficult for women to read. And it's not always that you lack time (although you do) it's often about not being able to concentrate because there's just too many distractions... the kids want you for something, there's a meal to put on the table, you have to go food shopping. It's *really* hard. It wasn't until my kids reached their teens that I managed to get properly back into reading. My husband however managed to keep reading throughout the girls' childhood but stopped when pressure of work during the day made him just want to collapse in front of the TV at night... the girls were teens by then. Funny how these things work the opposite way with men and women.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

This was such fun to read, Pat! Major point of envy: You're caught up on all your series!!! That is something I suck at!!!

10:31 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I had such a blast reading this :) I'm bookmarking this post for next time I need a post idea and have no clue what to write about :p

8:42 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

You like Anne McCaffrey? Who knew? :)

Speaking of, are there specific books of hers you don't have in hard cover that you would like? There is a little used bookstore here that has a few of hers in HC and I'd be happy to snag them for you. Just email me a list if you are interested and I'll stop back in and see what they have.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home