My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014

The Golem and the Jinni

The Golem and the Jinni by Helen Wecker.

Paperback: 512 pages
Publisher: Harper Perennial(December 31, 2013)
ISBN-10: 0062110845

golem_zpsd79bc7dc[1]

Amazon.com Review

Imaginative and meticulously researched, this enchanting debut novel from Helene Wecker is, in reality, an historical fiction. Set primarily in turn-of-the-century Manhattan, it deliberately details the immigrant experience--the wonders and hardships of being in a new country and the discoveries, triumphs, and failures that follow--while bringing the city itself to life with such passion that New York of yore seems like a magical land. Beyond reality, however, The Golem and the Jinni, as the title implies, is also a fantastic work of fantasy. The Golem is an insatiably curious clay "woman" that was created to seem human while serving only her husband; the Jinni is a magical "man" whose fascination with mortals has left him nearly stripped of his own nature and forced to live as one. These mythical characters from otherwise clashing cultures not only coexist, but come to rely upon one another in order to exist at all. In turn, their story finds us not only rooting for them to find peace and happiness, but gaining a better understanding of our own human nature in the process. --Robin A. Rothman

This is my first book of 2014!…………..

Many times I read a review for a book and then get it....and then by the time I get to many of the books that I have on my shelves I’ve forgotten the reviews and am not completely sure what to expect!

The book began a little slow for me..but something about it kept my interest.

I think it was very different from anything I’ve read before.  Although, once again there was some history interlaced with mythical creatures.  One is made of clay the other a Jinni forced to be in the guise of a human male.

In the book you lean something about both creatures (being made by a wizard), the country they came from and where they wind up in olden times of Manhattan, what it was like back then is also interesting.

I might not ever pick up a book to see what “old Manhattan” was like but when things like that are in a book with an interesting and enjoyable story written around it I find I enjoy the book even more.

So if you like Wizardry and Golems and Jinni’s, and toss in a little history… you will certainly enjoy this book!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

This one of those books which has been on my radar for a while now, have it on my Amazon wishlist as a matter of fact. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Pat. I'll get around to it at some stage.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Sadly due to my reading slump last year I just couldn't keep my interest in this one. I am sure in a different mood I would love it, but I have to get back in a groove.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

You read so many long books, Pat! And this one sounds quite unique! Not sure if it's my kind of thing or not, but I enjoyed your review!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I've seen this popping up here and there on the 'net lately. Glad you enjoyed it, especially given its your first read of the new year. Always good to start the year off well, right? :)

4:22 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I want to read this now, it was on so many best books of the year for last year. I enjoyed your review, too - I think it is a book that is hard to say what it is about, and you have to be in the right mood for it. Very happy that you started out the year with a book you like!

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home