My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

This House is Haunted

My 6th read for RIP.

 

This House is Haunted by John Boyne.

Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Other Press (October 8, 2013)
ISBN-10: 1590516796

From Booklist

Eliza Caine is orphaned at 21 when her father succumbs to the flu after he insisted on attending a reading by Charles Dickens in cold, wet weather. She is bereft and, like most heroines of the time, without resources. She has lost her home, and so she leaves her teaching job to take a position as governess to two children in Norfolk. The advertisement is somewhat irregular, but she summons her courage and travels to what should be her new life. But secrets and mysteries abound. There are no parents present, and no servants to speak of. No one will share any information, and terrible things keep happening. Isabella seems old beyond her years, while Eustace is sweet and lovable. Through dogged pursuit, Eliza ferrets out the horrific truth and survives the malevolence of the presence that haunts the house. As the fearful situation grows worse, Eliza finds a strength that is unexpected for her time and place. Does she solve the puzzle, and do she and the children survive? A perfect, shivery gothic tale. --Danise Hoover

Well now, this book was easy reading and quite enjoyable! 

Good background material so you never get lost, and just an all-'round quick "ghostly" read!  Can't ask for anything more during RIP!  Wow , I might even get one more read this month so that I don't embarrass myself on the book count for "things that go bump in the night"!   

This one did not go bump in the night though.  It more went, shove out the window, strangle, push down stairs.. in general: not all nice stuff  :o).  Like I said, perfect for RIP!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

"shove out the window, strangle, push down stairs"

LOL!!! You have such a way with words, Pat. But it sounds just perfect for RIP.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Laurie C said...

I didn't like this one as much I had expected to, but it was good!

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home