My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Inspector of the Dead

Inspector of the Dead by David Morrell.

Hardcover: 352 pages
Publisher: Mulholland Books;(March 24, 2015)
ISBN-13: 978-0316323932








From School Library Journal

This follow-up to Murder as a Fine Art (2014) is set in 1855 while England is in the midst of the Crimean War. It opens with The Opium-Eater, Thomas De Quincey, and his daughter Emily leaving town, but a gruesome murder during a church service, seemingly connected to a rebel group committed to killing Queen Victoria, changes their plans. De Quincey is still addicted to laudanum, yet his skill at seeing connections, patterns, and possibilities that others miss is as strong as ever. The murders continue, each one more gruesome and artistically staged than the last. Teaming up again with Inspector Ryan and Detective Sergeant Becker, the De Quinceys work to untangle the motivation behind the murders and find the killer. The story is enriched by the weaving of historical facts into the narrative: the grinding failures of the Crimean War; the rigid, oppressive class divisions in London; and the multiple assassination attempts on Queen Victoria's life are all integral to the plot. The inclusion of some history of crime scene investigation practices enriches the story. Although it is a sequel, the book also stands alone. Teens will enjoy contrasting the class and culture stereotypes as well as expectations of women of the time with current-day ideas. VERDICT The narrative's drama, tension, and plot twists make this a likely hit with readers looking for grisly murder mysteries or compelling historical fiction.—



This is my second book by author David Morrell, who some may know as the author of the Rambo books/ movies.

Once again this book includes the characters of Thomas De Quincey (the Opium Eater) and his daughter Emily.  I have found De Quincey  a great character for the stories David Morrell has written.

Needing so much Opium to stay out of pain it has made his mind "dream" and yet know things he shouldn't know.  Most would long ago have died from the amount of this drug he takes... which of course is what makes him so interesting.  His daughter Emily fills a "secondary" story line between the two books that they have been in. (Murder as a Fine Art being the first book)  Other than the characters the stories do not overlap so you need not read one book in order to read the second. 

I enjoyed this book very much.  Morrell uses a lot of true history and true characters and  his descriptions of where he is at any time is so well done you feel you can see it.

So another good book bites the dust.......

Of the two books I like Murder as a Fine Art just a tiny bit more. But both are good reads.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I just checked my library catalogue online and whadyaknow? My local library has Murder as a Fine Art! When I go in at the end of the week I'll pick that up.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home