My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, August 30, 2020

The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen 83 1/4 Years Old

 The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83 1/4 Years Old by Graeme Simsion.

 

Paperback : 384 pages
ISBN-10 : 1455542156
Publisher : Grand Central Publishing; Reprint Edition (April 3, 2018)

 

 

Amazon review:

 

Technically speaking, Hendrik Groen is....elderly. But at age 83 1/4, this feisty, indomitable curmudgeon has no plans to go out quietly. Bored of weak tea and potted geraniums, exasperated by the indignities of aging, Hendrik has decided to rebel - on his own terms. He begins writing an exposé: secretly recording the antics of day-to-day life in his retirement home, where he refuses to take himself, or his fellow "inmates," too seriously.

With an eccentric group of friends, he founds the wickedly anarchic Old-But-Not-Dead Club, and he and his best friend, Evert, gleefully stir up trouble, enraging the home's humorless director and turning themselves into unlikely heroes. And when a sweet and sassy widow moves in next door, he polishes his shoes, grooms what's left of his hair, and determines to savor every ounce of joy in the time he has left, with hilarious and tender consequences.

A bestselling phenomenon that has captured imaginations around the world, The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen is inspiring, charming, and laugh-out-loud funny with a deep and poignant core: a page-turning delight for readers of any age.

 

 I found a lot of this book to be  humorous but with a touch of sadness.  I think the sadness part comes because of my age.   I would, however recommend this book to those you don't suffer from depression... parts are very funny.

I wish I could write good things for this book.  It is all daily diary writings and there are no chapters in the whole book.  The idea of a diary while in a home for the aged is original.  It's also a good idea for older people to do it, or just write each day to keep your mind sharp. 

I am not a writer by a long shot.. but I did try to write a fantasy story while being a caregiver for my brother and I do still believe it  helped me not to be so depressed, to escape to a fantasy land with fantasy characters, that after a short while I could hear their voices in my head.... and I no longer felt so along.

This book brings to light what it  may be like to live in a home, and have no one but the others around you.  It makes you realize a number of things that I am sure none of us think of . 

1 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

That does sound fun, lovely, and sad...or perhaps tinged with melancholy.

Certainly this long spring and summer many people who live in care homes ONLY have one another and the staff for company since they won't allow visitors. I'm certainly not glad my mother in law has passed (nearly years ago now) but I am nonetheless grateful that she has not had to go through all this time without visits from her husband and children. That would have been so traumatic for her.

The premise of this brought to mind the British sitcom Waiting for God. Always loved that show, especially the main female character who was always causing trouble.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home