My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, July 04, 2020

Ruler of the Night

 
A novel that is part of a series....

 #VentureForth2020



Ruler of the Night by David Morrell.

Series: Thomas and Emily De Quincey (3) (Book 3)
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Mulholland Books; Reprint edition (November 28, 2017)
ISBN-10: 0316307912




 Amazon Review;

The notorious Opium-Eater returns in the sensational climax to David Morrell's acclaimed Victorian mystery trilogy.

1855. The railway has irrevocably altered English society, effectively changing geography and fueling the industrial revolution by shortening distances between cities: a whole day's journey can now be covered in a matter of hours. People marvel at their new freedom.

But train travel brings new dangers as well, with England's first death by train recorded on the very first day of railway operations in 1830. Twenty-five years later, England's first train murder occurs, paralyzing London with the unthinkable when a gentleman is stabbed to death in a safely locked first-class passenger compartment.

In the next compartment, the brilliant opium-eater Thomas De Quincey and his quick-witted daughter, Emily, discover the homicide in a most gruesome manner. Key witnesses and also resourceful sleuths, they join forces with their allies in Scotland Yard, Detective Ryan and his partner-in-training, Becker, to pursue the killer back into the fogbound streets of London, where other baffling murders occur. Ultimately, De Quincey must confront two ruthless adversaries: this terrifying enemy, and his own opium addiction which endangers his life and his tormented soul.

Ruler of the Night is a riveting blend of fact and fiction which, like master storyteller David Morrell's previous De Quincey novels, "evokes Victorian London with such finesse that you'll hear the hooves clattering on cobblestones, the racket of dustmen, and the shrill calls of vendors" (Entertainment Weekly).




This is the third book by David Morrell which features Thomas De Quincey.... and I wish there were more!

Since many of his books have been made into movies it makes me wonder who would play De Quincey??  But these are not new books so I am guessing they will never be made into movies.. But if they were.. I'd go see them!

The "character" of De Quincey is so strange, that for the life of me I couldn't figure out how he came up with such an odd, but excellent, character.  Then I found out he was a real person!  Thomas De Quincey The English Opium Eater... wow..  of course the books are fiction, but he brilliantly used him as the main character in these 3 books. 

I certainly recommend these books.  Murder as a Fine Art, Inspector of the Dead,  and this one, Ruler of the Night.  If you like Murder Mysteries and Old England in the 1800's... you will love these books!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I didn't realise the 3rd. book was a train based murder, I love those. Will try to find a copy when the libraries reopen.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home