My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

My Hero's

I didn't post yesterday because I was up and out of the house by 7 am to go to an autograph show... when I played catch-up this morning reading other journals I saw that more then one remembered that yesterday was the anniversary of the Challenger explosion and the loss of 6 astronauts and 1 teacher.











I can tell you exactly where I was when the tragedy occurred. I was still married back then and living in Ft. Pierce Florida. My X and I always watched any blastoff and landing of all the space vehicles. We had the television on and were watching countdown of Challengers lift off.

Moments after it began to lift off we went outside of our house and looked northward in the sky. We knew we would witness the vapor trail as we had done other times. Of course what we didn't know was that we would be witnessing the explosion of Challenger.All seemed to be going well when we suddenly saw a mushroom in the sky.. I think I stood there a moment taking in what I was actually seeing. Not even saying a word to each other we raced back into the house to the television that was still on. We sat dumbfounded as we listened to the newscaster utter words that were even unbelievable to him... the Challenger had exploded.

It was one of those moments you know will remain with you for the rest of your life.
It was nice to read other journals and realize these brave people were not forgotten.

As some of you know I was privileged to meet some of our earlier astronauts.. some that went to the moon and back. I posted their photos on a small website I made here is the address in case you want to have a look see: http://www.geocities.com/kesterwoodgirl/finalfrontiere.html

They have been and always will be: My Hero's.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

That's a fascinating account. Being able to look up and see the vapor trails as you describe them would have been far too much reality for me to have dealt with back then.

But anyone who's willing to take that kind of risk is a hero in my book, too!

Patrick

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home