My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Award

From the day I met the Kelley's I knew they were my captive audience and my job was to bring smiles to them. Which I tried to do on a regular basis. In doing so they kept something alive in me.
Sometimes my mind would race with an idea and other times it would be completely spontaneous. Yesterday's entry was one of those "spontaneous" things... this one was thought out.
It was the year of Star Trek's 25th Anniversary and special Conventions were popping up to celebrate along with tributes and other such things.
One day while at the mall (where I worked part time) some people came and set up their displays for selling in the halls of the mall. As I walked around I notice one such setup which featured "wood". Now, I love wood, so I walked over. This man could do about anything with wood! And one thing REALLY caught my eye. He had made signatures out of wood!.. no, not the "burnt in the wood" kind... but rather a stand with the name in wood above it!
This fascinated me and my mind took off... towards DeForest naturally. Maybe I could have his signature made in this wood and make some sort of award for him! After all... Paramount and Conventions were celebrating... so, why shouldn't I?
So I went home and began to create a letter to go with the "Special Award" just for him and then I would go talk to the man at the mall to see if what I wanted could be done.

The "Award" was his signature carved from wood. With a little something extra on the stand itself!

I asked if words could be added to the stand part and he said yes. I told him what I wanted it to say, "The Sexiest Lower Lip in the Galaxy"... after he stopped laughing he told me the price.
I was not laughing.
Holy Moley.. it's how much?!! *gulp* dang.. but you know the rest... it's worth it to get a smile or a giggle from the Kelley's.. Once I had it in hand I wrapped it with plenty of bubble wrap and mailed it.

I figured I'd be pretty safe from anything De could do since I was in Florida and he and Carolyn were in Ca..
The phone rang..
"hello?"
I heard giggling..
"oh, hi Carolyn... let me guess, De got a package today."
more giggling.. "why, yes he did...."
"Ummm, did he like his "award?"
"I think so... (more giggling)"
"You think so???"
"Well, he's in the bathroom examining his lower lip at the moment or i'd ask him!"
Of course she was joking, but it cracked me up just the same.... Gosh, how I loved making them smile!

5 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am fascinated to know just how much that "joke" cost? And I'm glad it was worth it!

Thanks for voting for Whitney...I hope she wins, too!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

You are so creative! And devoted!!!

(how much)

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the best stories!

5:35 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi.. if i remember right it cost me about 45.00 for the name in wood! That was a lot to me back then (and now! lol) but worth every penny!

Pamela.. my "how can i make them laugh" was always in gear from the time i first met them..and it was FUN!

Jeff: I don't like to bore people but at times I get on a roll of memories, especially when I get looking at pictures... it's a good break for me to remember happy moments.

7:37 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

You are a great friend. And inventive...

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home