My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

..And the Challenge Begins..



The Wild Wood... by Charles de Lint



Book #1 of 4 for the RIP II Challenge


  • Paperback: 208 pages

  • Publisher: Orb Books (June 1, 2004)

  • ISBN-10: 0765302586




  • This is my first book in the RIP Perils Challenge...


    WARNING: Book Reports are not my strong point! But you get what you get.. so you'll have to accept me as I am!


    I picked up this book with no real expectations. Though many just adore Charles de Lint I really had no idea if I would like his writing or not.


    Chapter one confused the heck out of me.. I didn't know what was going on. My first thoughts were: "gads.. I am not going to get through this!"


    Chapter two: turned it all around. From that moment on I read like a madman! I had to find out what the heck was going on with the main character, Eithnie.


    Was she weird?


    Was she dreaming?


    Was she going mad?


    Eithnie was an artist that began to see things in her paintings that she didn't put there! ... or did she?


    Every time I put the book down.. within minutes I'd pick it up again!


    I am happy to say in the end you do find out just what it is going on with Eithnie. And if wanting to know, keeps you reading, you will not put this book down until it's conclusion. de Lint, delivers.. and drives his message home.


    This book is a quick read and although the book did not have vampires or ghouls or things that go bump in the night.. (well maybe a little of that).. it did have the feeling of creepy! If you ever doubted yourself.. or your sanity.. you will in some way relate to this book.


    It was a good beginning for me to have for the RIP Challenge. And I am already curious to read the reviews of the others that have this book on their list!


    Don't forget to check the RIP Book Reviews that are already beginning to come in!

    12 Comments:

    Blogger Nikki in Niagara said...

    Great review! This book sounds wonderful! I haven't ever read de Lint before either.

    12:07 PM  
    Blogger chrisa511 said...

    Yay! So glad you had a good first deLint experience. That's the way I feel with all of his books - I start off after the first chapter going "huh?" and it slowly all becomes clear and you get into the story and then you can't put it down. This one really sounds great! You'll finish this challenge in no time! Maybe you can read some of mine for me ;)

    2:20 PM  
    Blogger Lee said...

    You always give excellent book reviews, Deslily...so you have nothing to worry about! :)

    11:01 PM  
    Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

    Nice job! So glad you enjoyed it. If I remember correctly this is one of de Lint's earlier books and all indications is that his work just gets better and better. I know the first de Lint I read was a much more recent one and I was lost in it, it was so wonderful.

    3:55 PM  
    Blogger DesLily said...

    nicola: my first de Lint.. can't say if I'll read more or not.. just too many books I want to read out there!

    Chris: yeah right I'll read Wizards for ya! lol

    Lee: not sure how good they are. Even when I enjoy something, I really don't want to give anything away lol

    Carl V: yep, they said it was one of his first books.. it sounded a little creepy but not too far out there that I'd mind it so... I did done read it!

    4:40 PM  
    Blogger Debi said...

    I loved your warning...I once wrote something like about my book reviews, too. Only problem...for me it's true...I just can't write a decent review to save my life. But yours, on the other hand, was wonderful! You definitely sold me on this book.

    6:01 PM  
    Blogger Ana S. said...

    I have yet to read any Charles de Lint, and I quite like the sound of this one. Perhaps it could be my introduction to his work. Thank you for the great review.

    6:44 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    de Lint is wonderful, definitely one of my favourites.

    The Wild Wood is good, but I do think some of his later work is better, so if you get chance, you might want to try some of his more recent books.

    11:14 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sounds great. I have only read The Blue Girl so far and really enjoyed it. I definately plan on reading more and this one looks great thanks :)

    8:32 PM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    V. nice commentary on the book!

    Truthfully, psychological thrillers scare me a lot more than the supernatural ones... they hit much closer to home!

    7:58 PM  
    Blogger Bookfool said...

    I can tell visiting RIP participants is going to be very dangerous. I've got one Charles de Lint book, so I'll hold on locating this one till I read mine, and I'll be patient with the first chapter. Thanks to you and Chris for that warning. And, you're just dandy at book reports. :)

    2:08 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You speaketh the truth, I think!!

    I will give it a miss!

    12:43 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home