My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Buried 'til Next Year, When It Will Rise Again!




Well, here it is November 1st... which means that the RIP II Challenge has ended.

Although I can't say this is my favorite type of books to read I can say that I found some that I enjoyed very much, and since Carl saw fit to begin the challenge early it gave everyone more than 2 full months to fill any of the challenges. (since I am not a speed reader this helped greatly! .. and of course I knew that this is not a life or death thing that must be accomplished, it's actually just for a nudge to help give you a reason to read. I think Teachers should do things like this in schools.. kids may get into reading more!

I had joined Peril the First: Read Four books of any length, from any subgenre of scary stories that you choose.

For this I chose: Wildwood/ Gil's all Fright Diner/ In the Company of Ogres/ and Dragons of the Highlord Skies. All of which I read, but upon reading Dragons of the Highlord Skies, I did not think it met the criteria.. and so I read on..

After those four books I read: Wizards/ The Moor/ and The Thirteenth Tale. (any of which replaces the Highlord Skies)

I have to say I enjoyed ALL of these books. If I had to choose most favorite I would choose The Thirteenth Tale, and least favorite would be Wizards. (though parts were very good.. but overall I'm just not a short story person)

And so this challenge comes to an end... I've read so many great reviews that I will admit I have a longer wish list than I began with!

I'd just like to thank Carl for prodding me into taking this challenge... I can also thank him and his readers for making this year in reading one in which I've read more books this year (and still have 2 months to go!) than I have in any other single year of reading! Which leads me to one more thank you to Carl for consistently keeping me so dang broke!

Ok that's it for the Perils II Challenge..



On another note, but still about books..

For anyone who might be reading some of the same series of books that I am here are some release dates for the continuation of some of those books:

Dragon Harper (Anne McCaffrey & Todd McCaffrey/ Dragonriders of Pern)... Dec. 26, 2007

Dragon Outcast (E E Knight'/Dragon Champion)...Dec. 4, 2007

Search for The Red Dragon ( James A Owen/ Here There be Dragons).. Feb. 23, 2008

Grip of the Shadow Plague (Brandon Mull/ Fablehaven)..April 2008

Inheritance Series (no title yet/ Eragon/ Christopher Paolini)..Sept. 2008

Queste (Angie Sage/ Septimus Heap)... April 8, 2008

Inkdeath (Cornelia Funke/ Inkheart) .. 2008


I guess this lets you know I will continue to stay broke! (not to mention my wish list which some of these are not even on yet since they aren't available for preorder yet!!)

Have a great November, and remember .. when the time comes later this month....... do what Maxine does....





10 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

It's kind of sad that this challenge is over :( But that won't stop us from reading ;)

I think that's a great idea for teachers to do something like this in schools! Anything to get kids reading more!

Oh, and you can add Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague due out in April 2008 to your list ;) Found that on Darla's blog who didn't like the first book because she hated Seth :(

Can you tell I'm procrastinating starting my novel! I'm scared I'm going to have writers block before I start!

10:03 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: Carl ALWAYS has "another" challenge! lol bless his pea-pickin' heart lol..

umm yes, I can see you are nervous... ummm, the Fablehaven book is already listed..heh..

Just make sure "deslily" isn't an old witch!.. oh wait..well.. as long as she's a kindly old witch lol

10:52 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Doh! Totally missed that the Fablehaven book was listed, lol! I just read "Grip of the Shadow Plague" and not "Fablehaven" and...yeah, minds slow....

I'm thinking of making you a queen of sorts :) how's that work for ya? You get wings too!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Yeah...I'm sad this challenge is over too. It's actually probably my favorite genre!! Although I didn't read nearly as many books as I would have liked, I did finish enough to complete the Peril I choose....along with a Neil Gaiman bonus!!

I don't think I've read any of the series you mentioned, but I have a couple of my TBR list, most notably the Cornelia Funke books.

1:58 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: hmmm, a queen and wings eh?.. i know a few that fit that description but I'm not one of them LOL.. j/k with ya.. I hope whatever you write you have fun!

Steph: ohhh Inkheart i loved! and the second book too.. I can't wait for book 3!... and I'm a happy camper that book one is already a movie..but they pushed the release back.. it was to be March, now they say September..boohoo..

2:02 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I'm also sad that this challenge is over. It was so much fun! Congratulations on finishing! It's great that you didn't dislike any of your books. The exact same happened to me, and I'm very very glad. It made my experience with this challenge just perfect.

2:22 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: Ohh I have to say I totally enjoyed and chuckled alot during the two books by Martinez and well.. i've been going crazy looking for something similiar to the Thirteen Tale! I really loved that one! Just enough mystery, just enough weird and creepy..not overdone.. if you have any thoughts on one that might be similiar let me know!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Bookfool said...

Spooky books aren't my typical reading material, either. I wonder if that's why I consider the RIP my favorite challenge - it prods me to read a type of book that I seem to enjoy more than I think I do. Weird. And, yeah, you can go broke on all the great recommendations from other bloggers. Congrats on completing the challenge!

7:58 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

bookfool: thanks! yeah I found a gem among the books I read..that can only be a good thing..but ohhh how the wish list grows!

6:43 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You are amazing Pat! The amount of books you have read in this last month, PLUS, the amount for the year, So Far....Well, I am shamed!

Thanks for the reminder about the clocks...It is ALL, too much! Why don't they just stop DST??? Oh well....Here we go, again!

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home