My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Memory Brought Back to Life

Yesterday I received an email from a comment made in my Archives.. it was dated back in January of 2006. Needless to say I was surprised! I don't think many people click on archives, in my case I did write more memories back then.
The comment was left on "this post" and it read like this:
DesLily, Just to catch you up... Roy is in rehearsal (January 2008) for a revival of his one-man play "Brief Lives" in England. Here's some info: http://www.cinemind.com/aubrey/ . He's to be knighted OBE this year . On a much sadder note, his wife Kay died last summer. From another –FriendofRoy
Posted by Anonymous
On the post I talked about Roy Dotrice, who is an actor I met back in 1989. His most popular role was from Televisions show of Beauty and the Beast, he played the character called Father.

(of course it helped that I thought he was handsome.. and I love beards! lol)

(I was in love with his character of Father on Beauty and the Beast.)

(1989 I met Roy for the first time. I also met his wife Kay and one of his 3 daughters, Karen)
Born in May of 1923, Roy is now 85 yrs young and still going strong! Currently (or soon) he will be doing a one man show in England. You can read about it by clicking the link in the comment by Anonymous. On IMDb I found out Roy has a part in the upcoming Hellboy II as King Balor. This, to me was WONDERFUL news, as it reunites him with Ron Perlman who plays Hellboy, and was the Beast of Beauty and the Beast!!
Life is sometimes strange.. having met Roy so many years ago, we kept contact for a few years, then life interrupted and I lost contact with him. Years later I did see him at a convention and low and behold, Roy remembered me and even asked why I hadn't written in so long! Life interrupted again. And I lost contact.
A number of years ago I, for whatever reasons, wrote a story. I know you've heard me mention it, Kesterwood. In my story there's a man named Abbercorn. If you've ever talked to someone who has written a story (even like me, when written for no reason) you will hear them say that they can hear the voices of their characters in their head when they have them speaking. In that respect, I was no different, I too heard their voices.. and the voice of Abbercorn I knew immediately was that of Roy Dotrice. So for two years, as I wrote I heard Roy in my mind.
Two years ago I wrote to him, not knowing where he was, I mailed it to his Hollywood address, and don't know if it ever reached him. I do know that this man (actor) has lingered with me since I first saw him on Beauty and the Beast, and I doubt he will ever leave me for very long.
Hearing he was still working so much made me cheerful, but it was short lived when I read of him loosing Kay. This year would have been their 60th wedding anniversary! Now that's something you don't hear of often!
He's such a nice man, and a really super actor! If you've never seen him you should click on any of the links below and watch any of the short videos of Roy!!!

For your viewing pleasure, click on any links below:




















Brief Lives Madigan MenJust Shoot Me
Brief Lives intro Down Home The Cutting Edge
Amadeus Going to Extremes Corsican Brothers
Beauty & the Beast Are You Jim's Wife? Touched By An Angel

10 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Such a lovely Versatile Actor!
Don't you just love when someone gets to your blog through the Archives? It's rather miraculous, isn't it? So sorry to read about his wife....60 years...WOW! My sister and her husband were married almost 62 years when she died...As you said, it is a raroty---especially these days.

11:59 AM  
Blogger david mcmahon said...

G'day from faraway Australia,

What a lovely post. The perfect proof that life does come full circle.

2:01 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

That's so cool! And it's great to know what Abbercorn sounds like now :) I can't wait to see him in Hellboy 2! That's one that I'll definitely be seeing when it comes out.

3:46 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: I'm just glad he's still acting.. and on stage!!! I am sad I will never meet Kay again and hope he's doing ok though.

Hello David: welcome to my blog! Yes indeed, as we grow old, many things seem to come full circle!

Chris: I hope you viewed some of his appearances Chris! He has a wonderful voice!!! And yes, he was the voice I always heard!! He would make a wonderful Abbercorn!!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

This is Michele's father isn't it? She who is married to the wonderful Edward Woodward. They're quite the acting dynasty if memory serves.

7:12 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Cath! Yes it is! They have 3 girls, Michele who married Edward Woodward, Karen.. who was married to Alex Hyde-White, Yvette, all of which are or were actresses!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

What a lovely, lovely post!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

It is always heartening to hear stories of marriages that last, most especially when it involves celebrities of any caliber.

It is interesting how older posts will sometimes get comments. I am always curious what folks were searching for when they hit old posts.

Sorry you're still having trouble getting in to my site. I know they are working on it. I miss you!

11:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: for a lovely man and super actor! I hope you see him in a movie if you haven't. He is from England but he does many accents for different movies.

Carl: I'm guessing someone googles a name "roy dotrice".. but I enjoy looking through others archives there's so much there that the newer reader hasn't seen!! I never did book reviews until I got mixed up with you and chris!! (sheesh) now I seem to not write about anything else!! ..but then again my archives had the memories written..so nothing else to write about really anyway lol

I check a few times a day!! hopefully I will be back soon!! Not that I comment on everything anyway..but I do enjoy many aspects of your blog, not the least of which is to read the comments a number of times a day! ;o)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Yes, please keep trying.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home