My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Two Memes

Non-Fiction Meme
CJ over at
CJ Reading Seriously has tagged me with a non-fiction meme.


a). What issues/topic interests you most--non-fiction, i.e, cooking, knitting, stitching, there are infinite topics that has nothing to do with novels?

Well.. most know I also enjoy collecting autographs. Now and then I get the bug to crochet afghans. And when I feel like it I enjoy drawing and writing.

As for my reading non-fiction: I occasionally read Biographies and now and again I enjoy reading about our first astronauts from Gemini, Mercury and Apollo.


b). Would you like to review books concerning those?

I can't say I've read anything on collecting autographs, I can't really say I'd try to find one either.

I've never read anything on crocheting with the exception of an actual pattern, and no I doubt I'd review any.

I've read a few books on the Moon Shot and individuals that went to the moon, and when I read them I do make a small review.


c). Would you like to be paid or do it as interest or hobby? Tell reasons for what ever you choose.

Getting paid to do something you like is always nice! However, I would feel obligated to say I liked it even if I didn't, and that I couldn't do. Add to that I'm about as far from a decent reviewer as one can get ! lol


d). Would you recommend those to your friends and how?

Only if I thought they would be interested.



e). If you have already done something like this, link it to your post.

here's one of the more recent books on astronauts:


f). Please don't forget to link back here or whoever tags you.

***************************

This other meme was on CJ post also:

After the Honeymoon February 14, 2008
Filed under: Wordpress — --Deb @ 1:14 am

Have you ever fallen out of love with a favorite author? Was the last book you read by the author so bad, youbroke up with them and haven’t read their work since? Could they ever lure you back?

It's strange but most every author I really like eventually goes off into a direction that holds no interest for me. But I am forever checking what they put out as new books.

I am fiercely drawn to characters. If they grab me, chances are really good the whole book does the same. Of course a good story helps a lot, but the main character (or group of characters) has to hold me.

I do realize for many writers they simply tire of writing about the same people or the same land etc (fantasy) and want to move on to something different. And sometimes, if I'm really lucky, eventually, they find their way back. (Stephen R Donaldson did this with the Thomas Covenant books) But I never truly leave authors I like... rather, I watch and wait... and hope... and if they endeavor to put out something new that sounds interesting I will try it to see if they can sweep me up once again.

8 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

I learn something new about you every day! I never knew you crocheted!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Piffle! There's nothing wrong with your reviews...I love reading them!

6:35 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Pat -

I agree with Debi. You're reviews are great. It's funny - I love space exploration but don't think I've ever read a book about the astronauts or the programs. Strange, that.

I've read the first set of Covenant books and really enjoyed them but I don't remember being terribly impressed with the second set. Are there more?

Thanks for doing both memes. I enjoy reading your answers.

cjh

6:58 PM  
Blogger Kim L said...

There was a time when I devoured fiction and nonfiction about the space program. I wanted to be an astronaut. Life has taken me on a different path, though.

Whats the autograph you have that you value the most? And which one would you just kill to have?

10:19 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: the first Covenant trilogy is: Lord Fouls Bane. The Illearth War. and The Power that Preserves... the second trilogy (that follows closely) is: The Woundedland. The One Tree. and White Gold Wielder. The third triloy is new.. 2 of the 3 books are out..Runes of the Earth and Fatal Revenant. The first 2 trilogies I love this third is very good..but as always, just not quite like the original 6.. but I'm glad that he is writing these.

Hello Kim: The autographs I love the most may not be the ones that would be big moneymakers. Of course I'd choose DeForests autograph which I have several of. At a time when life was not being kind I had to sell some autographs off and really wish I hadn't had too. One of those was Kate Hepburn. Two of my "newer" ones I cherish are Alan Bean and Dick Gordon (astronauts).

8:46 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

All of these books that you read and write about are not fasmiliar to me because the subject is noy one that interests me..BUT, having said that, your reviews and your enthusiasm for many many of the books you love is contagious, and IF I were interested in dragons----I woud buy one of these in a minute! So I think you are a very good reviewer! (lol)

Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my post, Pat....It was quite an inteesting time in my life and quite a wonderful experience, that Show.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Kim L said...

I can imagine why you would value DeForest's autograph so highly :-) I saw in a previous post that he was a friend of yours, but I have not been reading your blog long enough to know: how did you know him?

10:30 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi:I know you don't read fantasy Naomi. I got hooked on them in High School. A required reading was The Hobbit by Tolkien. I love the characters, the adventures and the escape it give me. Often in these books I wish I were wherever they are and with them. Weird, I know! lol

Kim: DeForest and his wife Carolyn were friends of mine. Though I met DeForest at a Convention, we began to write (mostly Carolyn) and then meet for dinner at the conventions..it just grew from that. I wound up living near them and we'd visit and phone each other often.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home