My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Bookish Meme

Chris over at Stuff as Dream are made On, tagged me for a book related meme. I read his answers and visited a few others doing the meme. For whatever reason, things weren't just popping into my head for answers and at first I thought, "nah, I'll skip this". But then a few I found a few answers to some of the questions mulling around in my head... so I decided just to answer those. So, sorry it's not a full meme...


If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?

Only 3? Well, that's a bummer, heh. Let's see if I can narrow it down.. One thing that does make this a bit more difficult is that a number of characters I like have been portrayed in movies. This makes it more difficult as I'm not 100% sure it's the character and not the actor. *sigh*
Gandalf the Gray would most likely head the list. (.. and no it wouldn't hurt if he looked like Ian McKellan and sounded like him either!) A man of great power, but doesn't flaunt it or use it unnecessarily ..only when there is no other way. I'd like to find out what he's like when he's relaxed and contented. I feel he'd be full of wisdom, of the common sense kind, and that would make him a most wanted guest.
To add fun to the party I think I'd invite Tasslehoff Burrfoot. A character (kender) from Dragonlance. Mischievous and always getting into something that would keep the party lively. Many times he's made me laugh, and I need laughter in my life.
And third, I think should be Masterharper Robinton, from the Pern books.He could play his pipes and sing for us. Another very intelligent yet laid back sort of fellow. (besides, between him and Gandalf I am sure they could keep Tasslehoff from finding too much trouble)

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the characters we love so much were alive?! Sometimes they seem so real it's hard to remember that they aren't.


A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?

I think I would choose German so that I could read the Inkheart series in it's original writing.



A mischievious fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?

"A" book? duh.. not about to happen! But I would take Anne McCaffrey's Pern series!



I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?

Mostly I have found a whole new group of YA authors that I really enjoy! Cornelia Funke, James A Owen, Angie Sage, & Brandon Mull just to name a few. And I did enjoy a few books by A. Lee Martinez totally out of my zone about zombies, a vampire and a werewolf! I didn't think anyone could write about them and make me enjoy them but he did.



That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.

A Library? For Me? wow, now that's one I've never considered before.
Well for one thing it would have to be a good sized room, for it to hold all the books I'd want and to have a comfy area to sit and read.
Lots of wood. Wood shelves, wood floor, nice wood tables. Actually the word "nice" may be deceiving. What is "nice" to me means "rough and rugged looking" "well used and thick". All the book shelves must have glass framed doors that open and slide above the books. (I'm old! No more dusting!) The shelves, naturally would go ceiling to floor. I might need a more modern "lift" to the upper shelves since ladders aren't for the elderly, and everyone should have access to the top as well as the bottom shelves. The reading section should have overstuffed, comfy, recliner chairs, each having it's own table and lamp.
I would like a section to have leather bound classics such as Oliver Twist, Scrooge and many others. The more modern books all in hardbacks, with signatures (if possible). Fantasy, would of course be the largest section, followed by many YA books.
Oh, and so I don't forget.. a room off to one side housing a small movie theater, which will have every book that has been made into a movie for viewing. The theater will also be furnished with nothing but recliners to relax and enjoy.

10 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

I LOVE your library :D I've been loving everyone's libraries...I wish we could all have our own...some of my favorite parts of reading The Thirteenth Tale were their meetings in the library.

I totally guessed that you'd have a wizards gathering on my blog :p Except I thought for sure that Abbercorn would be there! Him and Gandalf would get along like old pals!

Glad you did this one. I had fun reading your answers :)

4:15 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: I am getting to know you too! hahaha.. of course I would have picked Abbercorn, Hetford and Kien! but no one would know who they are, so I chose others that I'd want just as much lol...
Too funny.. I knew you'd wonder why Abbercorn wasn't on the list hahahahaha..

4:19 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh I LOVE your Library Fantasy...(Why did I read that as to The Books In Your Library...Not The Library itself??? I would say that you have a WONDERFUL LIBRARY of BOOKS...and it may not be your Ideal, Ideal...but it sounds to me like you DO have in your possession so very many books that have great meaning for you, Pat....And maybe that is why you are looking to the actual room....I LOVE your room, and the Movie Theatre next door, too! Delightful!

8:59 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: I do love movies every bit as much as books! Had to have the movie theater lol..

8:14 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Ahh, I love the sounds of your library! Nice touch with the glass doors, too. (I despise dusting!)

9:14 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Fantastic library! Of course you could dream up a maid to go with it to do all the cleaning and dusting! :)

Very fun answers. Gandalf would be great and could probably tell some amazing stories, in addition to the fireworks and other conjuring tricks.

3:16 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for your visit Pat....And you are so right....Having pictures really jogs the brain and the memories of a particular time or event(s)....It would be great to have all those pictures of one's entire life!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Great answers!!! I wouldn't mind meeting Gandalf either.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I love the idea of the movie theatre off the library, Pat. That's a novel idea. And an evening spent with Gandalf and Robinton would certainly be fun. LOL.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

In my mind I was thinking about one of those libraries you read about it an old romance novel. Leather chairs, ladders, butlers with cognac for when you faint away from reading until 4 a.m. ha ha ha

but the modern one with a movie studio does have some advantages. Can I still have the Butler with the cognac?

3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home