My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, April 11, 2008

War of the Twins

Quest the First...

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time II criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.
Book 5: War of the Twins by: Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman



Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Wizards of the Coast (May 1, 2004)
ISBN-10: 0786932171
Raistlin prepares to enter the Abyss and challenge the Dark Queen herself, only to discover that he is caught in a time loop from which there seems to beno escape.
by Christopher Ware:
This book digs even deeper into their personalities and their relationship with each other. We see Caramon coming to terms with who his brother really is and what he represents. We see him wrestling with his love for his brother and his sense of what is right. In Raistlin,Weis and Hickman pull the reader in different directions, never letting them know if Raistlin is pure evil or if there is actually some good in him.
It is the characters that drive this story. Their joys, their pains, their worries are all what give the book it's feeling and it's purpose.

When it comes to the review I always have trouble.. I don't want to say too much and yet too little doesn't give anyone enough information to know if they want to try these books or not.. so I dig around for other descriptions hoping to find the right mix.
The above pretty much tells the story without giving too much away! There is one more book in this series that I will begin reading today, Test of the Twins.
These books are really good ones if you are a character driven person. There's not too much description when it comes to the fights/ wars etc., it's mostly the characters, which is what i like most about a story.
Weis and Hickman give a good balance. They give you background on a character and then some story.. then repeat as they go along. It's great! You don't get overpowered with too much about any one thing before the action moves on.
I can't say I know much about the publishing end of books.. but I found it exceedingly noteful that these 6 books originally came out as paperbacks.. and many years later they have released them in hardback. For me, that's a first! Books that begin as hardback go to paperback after a year.. but I can't say that, aside from these 6 books, have I ever heard of the reverse, where paperbacks were then put out as hardbacks! I think that's a bold statement about these books!
In actuality this completes the second quest, Quest the First, having read and reviewed 5 books, and I also completed The Journey, of one Fantasy Book.
I intend now to go on and REPEAT Quest the First and add 5 more Fantasy reviews.. and if I have time I'll go for a 3rd repeat! :o)

4 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

LOL...you crack me up! Just keep doing quest the first over and over, huh? You're going to have 50 books read by the end of this thing!

6:33 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: nah, lol.. but I should be able to read more than 5 books with all the time left!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

You over-achiever you! :) Ha! You are doing great and I'm so glad you are having the fun that you are having. I have to go against form and say that this is the first cover I'm not thrilled with but that is just because I don't like the dimensions on that one character. It just looks a bit too cartoony. But the rest of it is great and more importantly you really enjoyed re-reading them.

And you are right, it really does say something that they rereleased these in hardback. That is mostly unheard of. I have several books that I wish that treatment would happen to. I'm really happy for both of the authors.

I look forward to seeing what you read next.

6:23 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: far from it! As you know rereads tend to go faster than first reads! I have to end the trilogy before going on.. but I am reading the Wood Wife now.
However, my year to do rereads is not over! There are still others on my shelves I intend on rereading! In between some newer books !

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home