My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, August 09, 2008

...And Then there are Goblins

The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B Dunkle


Hardcover: 240 pages
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (October 1, 2003)
ISBN-10: 0805073906

Amazon:

Kate and her younger sister, Emily, are orphans, sent to live with great aunts at remote and mysterious Hallow Hill. Hugh Roberts, their guardian, is a surly and somewhat sinister cousin. One afternoon, the girls come upon some strange people and an abnormally huge cat in a clearing. One of these folk, Marak, is a goblin king. He needs Kate to be his human bride, for goblins may not marry their own kind. When Emily disappears, Kate assumes that he is responsible and agrees to marry him in exchange for her sister's freedom. Once in the goblins' vast underground kingdom, Kate is sure she will die from not being able to see the stars. But she does marry Marak and assumes her life as a queen. At this point the plot takes an unexpected turn. A sorcerer attacks Marak, and Kate discovers some surprising things about herself and her relationship with her husband. This is an interesting fantasy world with well-realized characters. Hugh Roberts is a true villain and Kate is a feisty heroine. Marak is frequently described as an ugly monster, and he definitely comes across as something other than human. However, he has a good nature and a sense of humor as well as a great love for his chosen wife. The goblin kingdom itself is beautifully described, as are the strange creatures that inhabit it. The story moves a bit slowly in places, but overall it should attract readers who like magic and adventure. Kate is surely a heroine to be reckoned with, and girls will relate to her predicament.


I just took the photo for this post and as I sit and look at it I am shaking my head with a slight smile on my face. Let me tell you something... the way things have been going the past 2 weeks it's not easy to get a smile from me.. but this book did it!

Some time ago I read the Bartimaeus Trilogy and came away shaking my head and smiling and saying, "how can I like a demon so much?" Today I finished The Hollow Kingdom and I am shaking my head and smiling and saying, "How can I like a Goblin?" I never really thought about it before, but as memory serves... aren't Goblin's always the bad guys?

Clare B Dunkle has taken a whole new look at Goblins in general ! From the start, for unknown reasons, I liked Marak (King Goblin). He had a sense of wonder and humor. (a goblin?! hmmm) And when Dunkle takes you beneath ground to the home of the Goblins you lean that all goblins do not look alike. In fact... they look nothing alike!

What an absolutely fascinating look at Goblins! You may never perceive them as you once did again. This was a really enjoyable read! What great characters she made! I was pretty much hooked immediately and read this book in only 3 sittings! I am really glad I sent for (and have) the other two books before I began this one!! Now I can continue on and see what's next for Kate and Marak and her sister Emily!

I'll tell you what.. I enjoyed book one so much I went to amazon to see what else she has written!... and I haven't even finished the trilogy yet!

I can't begin to thank Cath for sending me such a great book !!!... but I'll try: thank you, thank you , thank you.... thank you Cath!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I'm sitting here fanning myself and thinking, 'PHEW! she liked it!' It's always a worry when you send someone a book, that they might hate it, and there are people who have issues with certain things in this book. So glad you didn't and that you loved the book as much as me. Clare Dunkle is a born story teller, imo, and you just can't stop turning the pages to see what'll happen next. The second book is more about Emily but is every bit as good as book one... still couldn't put the thing down! LOL. Just sent you an e.mail btw, before I saw this...

12:46 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

CAth: just answered your email LOL.. I should have said, if there was anything bad to say about this book it would be that I wished it was longer! lol loved it Cath!!!!

1:16 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Dammit Pat! I disappear for a few days, come back and you have a whole trilogy waiting for me to go get now ;) Missed you. Hope things have been ok, though they sound like they have been a bit stressful. Glad you had some goblins to get your mind off of things...don't say that too often, huh?

11:27 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: I was shocked that a goblin could win my attention! lol.. I guess we just never know!
btw: I got book 3 to Sabriel but book 2 is still unavailable grrrr I haven't ordered it anywhere else besides amazon because I want it the same size as the other two! So still waiting on that book.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

And my favourite of the Abhorsen trilogy is book 2, Pat, so hang on in there!

8:42 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: oh don't worry.. I will !

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home